The Resurrection

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little while back I had my truck catch fire going down the highway. After finally making it back home with it I decided I was gonna rebuild it and do some other repairs while I have it torn apart. My main plan is to replace everything that burned along with get an upgraded turbo kit and injection pump from wes, stud the heads, run a water to air intercooler and fix anything worn out I find along the way.

You must be registered for see images attach
What are some other good to fix things for these trucks while I have it torn apart?

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started the teardown today

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Wow! Crispy crittered! Wes should have some new wiring harness as well if you haven't already sourced one. As far as other good things to fix I bet he could also point out a plethora of things to fix, and probably have a good majority if not all in stock. Bit of a drive for all that, but I'm sure he would have your answers. That's terrible man. I'm sorry your rig burnt like that. Still recoverable by far. Just hate to see that.

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gawd what a mess. Hate to see this kind of stuff happen.

Any 20-20 hindsight to offer the rest of us as to what to look out for?
Make sure to carry a fire extinguisher larger than 1lb and if you have a turbo don't overlook fuel/oil leaks on the back of the engine. I'm pretty sure either oil or fuel was leaking onto the up pipe which got hot when I was climbing a hill and ignited.

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Continuing the teardown
are there any common areas for potential frame cracks to be on the look out for? Just wanna cover all my bases when its torn down.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man that’s a shame with all the damage from the fire. While you’re in there I would clean out the ac vents and cores, and install some heat/sound deadener along the firewall and trans tunnel. Wouldn’t be a bad time to reseal the engine and do some studs, and there’s no easier time to do the steering shaft and steering box. These trucks really don’t crack frames like other trucks of this era.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man that’s a shame with all the damage from the fire. While you’re in there I would clean out the ac vents and cores, and install some heat/sound deadener along the firewall and trans tunnel. Wouldn’t be a bad time to reseal the engine and do some studs, and there’s no easier time to do the steering shaft and steering box. These trucks really don’t crack frames like other trucks of this era.
The frame on my 89 f250, is cracked right under the driver. Is that the common cracking?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that I have seen, some guys in the rust belt may be able to point out some trouble areas, i never see them cracked down here.

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, gonna have to replace the whole ac box in the engine bay because it got too hot and burned a big hole into the side, with the engine my plan is to install studs, do the cooling mod with the 6.9 head gaskets and inspect the main bearings for wear and if its worn most likely do a rebuild.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The frame on my 89 f250, is cracked right under the driver. Is that the common cracking?

Not that I have seen, some guys in the rust belt may be able to point out some trouble areas, i never see them cracked down here.

I haven't been under a whole lot of these but I've seen a couple that were rotted out behind the radius arm mount.

I didn't think cracking was necessarily a rust belt issue, wouldn't cracking be an overloaded issue or something similar? I could see it brought on by a weakened rusty frame though if that's what you were getting at.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These trucks really don’t crack frames like other trucks of this era.
I took this to mean that other trucks of this era do crack frames. Instead of homing in on the fact that he probably meant... NOT FORD trucks... LOL I just thought he meant not the F350s er sumptin. LOL
So... Knowing mine was cracked, I wondered if this was a common thing.

I haven't been under a whole lot of these but I've seen a couple that were rotted out behind the radius arm mount.

I didn't think cracking was necessarily a rust belt issue, wouldn't cracking be an overloaded issue or something similar? I could see it brought on by a weakened rusty frame though if that's what you were getting at.
No idea why mine cracked. But it is cracked almost in two, under the driver's side cab.

(This is the 89, I am talking about. Not the 92.)

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My old winter beater truck absolutely hated that area / the shock towers..

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update time:
Got the engine torn down to a bare block just waiting to get another truck to run enough to be able to get the block to the machine shop to get bored out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk