the best rebuild for a 6.9 idi

my85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello guys well Im still putting together my truck ! and its not done yet.But the 6.9 I pulled out. I was gonna sell! But I got to thinking it would be a great spare engine for when the 7.3 goes ! So I was thinking I would start rebuilding it as soon as my pickup is complete. So when I start rebuild i need your input on what would make this a mean mother of a engine :mad: ! the engine is out of my 85 ford f250 its got 120000 miles on it it ran good and had great power when I pulled it. So please give me some great ideas please ! The SKY is the limit. Thanks ! sorry so long

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I don't know about others, but IMHO the 6.9 is a better engine in terms of longevity if you put head studs in it with decent head gaskets. The 7.3's cavitation issue plagues many of the blocks I have sitting around here.
IMO the best IDI you could build would be a 6.9 bored over with turbo rods, forged mahle pistons (have the tops turned down and coated for better heat reflection), turbo 7.3 oil cooler, replace the exhaust valves with inconel ones, 7.3 rocker arms, port the intake and exhaust ports to match the gaskets, install a typ4 cam, moose pump, moose misters, and stud everything (not just the head, the intake manifold, exhaust manifolds etc).

my85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about others, but IMHO the 6.9 is a better engine in terms of longevity if you put head studs in it with decent head gaskets. The 7.3's cavitation issue plagues many of the blocks I have sitting around here.
IMO the best IDI you could build would be a 6.9 bored over with turbo rods, forged mahle pistons (have the tops turned down and coated for better heat reflection), turbo 7.3 oil cooler, replace the exhaust valves with inconel ones, 7.3 rocker arms, port the intake and exhaust ports to match the gaskets, install a typ4 cam, moose pump, moose misters, and stud everything (not just the head, the intake manifold, exhaust manifolds etc).

Ya I been hearing the 6.9 idi is a better engine! Im gonna buy a moose pump and moose misters , when i start rebuild im gonna have the engine magna flexed and new everything in the block including ground down cam ,slightly bored cylinders and definately stud everything ! thanks for all the input you gave me some really great ideas

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Go minimum bore neede to clean the cylinders, if sky is limit then moose misters and moose pump, cam, studs, i would lower the compression to atleast 19-20:1 then with stud you know you can hold 15+ psi and never have to worry, i had 20>7:1 compression mine still fired perfect with glowplugs at 10 degrees, but once i had the turbo pump it wouldnt crank well at all but i was running max fuel and way too much timing so i assume thats why it was hard to start, but i know it wasnt the low compression because it cranked perfect with the old pump

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88