Thanks for the help.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to say that my truck is now where I consider it my "daily driver". Except that I don't drive every day.
Maybe a trip to the corner store mid-week and then on the weekend a trip to the dump and hardware store, etc.
Working from home sucks but it does save on fuel and wear/tear on the vehicles.
Anyway...thanks to you all for helping me get this far. I was really starting to regret my purchase early on but you all kept me going.
The truck still needs some things to be 100%, like fuel sending units (and tanks?), and a tank selector valve (I'm just running the front tank for now), and the paint on the hood looks like it was in a fire, but it seems to be reliable at this point and I'm trying to come around to liking it (even though none of my family or friends want to ride in it).
The knowledge base here is incredible and the attitudes are way more civil than most forums out there.
Thanks to all of you.
I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like your determination to try to like the truck
Well, I've considered selling it and trying to get my $ back out of it but then what the heck would I buy? Another electronically-controlled mess that I have to pay someone to work on?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my truck (and joined this forum) just over a year ago, and I feel the same way you do. I’m super grateful for all the knowledge here, and glad to have my truck graduate from “project” to “daily driver” status. This really is a great community.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you're at least one step ahead of me with the ZF-5.
The 3-spd and the noise in the cab are really the only things keeping me from loving this truck.
But I don't see me "fixing" them. I will either learn to live with it or sell it.
As of now, I'm keeping it.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep I definitely understand the annoyance of a noisy cab. Between the mud tires, the exhaust leak, the rust holes in the floor pans, and the broken wing window latch, it sure gets noisy in the highway!

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My kids and I love Wally, my wife is less than thrilled, but I don't mind, although I wanna make it more comfortable for her. At first I thought the engine cover (doghouse) was the main source of noise, but I really think its the upper door seals on the front two.

With a van at least, I think people let the door fall open and pretty soon the upper seal leaks wind noise. I'd love to figure that out. Also anything you can do to lower the resonant frequency of the metal surrounding you should help.

that or some noise-cancelling head-gear.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a bit of wind noise from the passenger door seal. But that's just a slight distraction from the engine noise.
Either these are just that loud or maybe I have a cracked exhaust manifold. Although the intake seems to be contributing quite a bit of noise also.
Even if I could quiet it down my wife won't ride in it unless she has to because the ride also make her boobs hurt. But it's fun to watch them! lol

Last edited:

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right after we got married in 1990 we bought a 1978 2wd F-100? F-150? with a bench seat and a 351W for $800 and over-loaded it with all our crap + towed her Toyota Supra behind it from Massachusetts to Oregon.
She used to sit right next to me in those days. :)
Best truck I ever had, except for no 4wd and no ext. cab. A wet dog on your laps gets old pretty quick.

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
And yet you went from good ol' green Oregon to Maine. Went from one Portland to the other Portland, am I right? :rotflmao

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed our time in Eugene, OR. And then we spent a few years in SLC, UT. Which was great also.
But your roots, and family/friends call you back home.
And it's also a bit weird not being able to go to the ocean if you want to (when in UT).
If she ever leaves me I'll probably move to a dumpy trailer home in Moab. ;-)
But once a New Englander, always a New Englander. I can pick one of us out at 40 yds. ;-) Everyone else is "normal". lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online