Telma Drivetrain Retarder Help

ghettoscrap

Reaction score
I have atruck with a Telma Drivetrain (or Brake) Retarder and I am sure it is missing the controls to it. I think they were mounted on the passenger inner fender as it and the A/C box were completely melted when I got the truck and there are several big holes in the dash and firewall were something was mounted.

Is it worth trying to find or make the missing controls and make this functional again or should I try to find some driveshafts and remove this French built POS from this truck?

Anyone know were to get parts or find info about the controls? I have seen that they are a box of relays and there are some switches that are affixed to the accel and brake pedals as well as a few other devices (the ampereage guage in the dash is the only thing I have other than the unit in the drivline itself)

Can someone explain the operation to me? I understand it uses electricity and eddy currents but I am still baffled by the fact the "pad" looking things DO NOT contact the "rotor" looking things under this truck to slow it down.

I already found a spare parts catalouge but it was not very helpful with the controls and the few sites I have found are in other languages.

If anyone needs pics I'll have to upload them to my website and post a link to them since I have met my limits here. Thanks in advance.

ghettoscrap

Reaction score
Here's the link to their dealer list, that will likely be your best bet on getting it back to working order...

http://www.telmausa.com/telma_htm/default.htm

Thanks, I had found one of the pages on that site but forgot to mark it and never found it again! Thanks so much. It looks expensive to fix this, with $600 in the whole truck, I might just have to pass on fixing this thing.

I just learned this truck is equipped with an ambulance package, but it has a flat bed on it, whatever!?!