tekonsha commander xp brake controller

briang

Reaction score
anybody have a wiring diagram for this controller?

when plugged into trailer there is always 12 volts to the brakes

and they are constantlly locked up

92 f350 7.3 cc longbed

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when you hooked up the red wire to the brake pedal switch did you tap in to the right side? one side oe the switch has 12v constint power.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you use the pluggin harness? Then splice the wires onto the brake controller. Check your seven pin connection at the rear to make sure it's wired right.

Connection to brake controller.
Black = Battery Pos.
White = Battery Neg.
Blue = Brake power.
Red = Vehicle brake signal.

Seven pin connections at the rear. Purple may not be the color for backup lights. The Black battery Pos. wire could be Orange.

Attachments

• seven pin rear trl conn..jpg
    seven pin rear trl conn..jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 114

briang

Reaction score
no red wire to the brake pedal switch as we speak

im assuming its a factory wiruing harness, rite behind the shifter

3 wires into the back of the controller...black, blue and white

red wire from the plug at the back of the truck, goes into a resistor, or fuse that goes to the black wire that goes into the harness

then there is a loan green wire that is cut off and goes to nothing...

any ideas on what i have going on here, and does anybody know about this controller?good, bad

thanks for the replies guys

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever figure out this problem (my trailer brakes are constantly going off and on with out pushing the brake pedal and I have disable my breakaway)? I think I am having the same problem but I am not using the same controller.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you use the pluggin harness? Then splice the wires onto the brake controller.
Forgive the slightly off-topic question, but is this harness still available anywhere? For that matter, is there a plug-in harness still available for the rear end for the 7-way plug itself? Or is this a junkyard/hope-for-the-best find at this point?

Again, I apologize, but I've been meaning to ask this question and figured it'd be better than starting a new thread...thanks in advance :angel:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are using the factory 7 pin plug, and then using a adapter to convert it to 6 pin, I discovered something; They had two different wiring schemes for the 6 pin. The two different ways of wiring the 6 pin swap the aux 12v power with the brake power terminal.

So if you are using a adapter, look at it closely on the outside, it will usually be engraved if the brake is on the center pin or the aux power is on the center pin. You can take the adapter apart, and all the wires will be soldered except these two, which can be easily swapped with a small screwdriver. On my trailer I need the brake on the outside pins and the aux power on the center pin.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are using the factory 7 pin plug, and then using a adapter to convert it to 6 pin, I discovered something; They had two different wiring schemes for the 6 pin. The two different ways of wiring the 6 pin swap the aux 12v power with the brake power terminal.

So if you are using a adapter, look at it closely on the outside, it will usually be engraved if the brake is on the center pin or the aux power is on the center pin. You can take the adapter apart, and all the wires will be soldered except these two, which can be easily swapped with a small screwdriver. On my trailer I need the brake on the outside pins and the aux power on the center pin.

I had a 7 pin on the truck when I bought it and I had the 7 pin replaced with another 7 pin female socket. Before a few weeks ago I had only used it to pull a utility trailer with out brakes, so used a 7 pin to 4 pin adaptor. I'm not sure how long I have had this problem because I just wired the brakes up on my car trailer a few weeks ago. Now I have this intermittant problem. For example I towed a car about 20 miles with no problems, then on my return trip home the brakes started locking up randomly. I feel if the constant +12 was wired to the trailer brake lead I would have never gotten out of the driveway.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your brake light switch may be set to close. Some people ride the brake peddle, there brakes are not on but the taillights keep flashing.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have wired a regular 12v light bulb to the output of my brake controller, since I don't trust the LED in the controller(It sometimes lies to me for some reason). You may want to do the same, to verify if you really are sending voltage back there on the blue wire. If you are not, maybe you have a mechanical problem on the trailer?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All Tekonsha brake controllers have four wires out the back of them.

Black---Battery Pos.
White--Battery Neg.
Blue----Trailer Brakes
Red----Signal from brake switch

If your using the Ford OEM 4 connector harness, then the light Green wire connects to the Red wire on the controller. Every Ford truck with a towing package came with a 4 connector harness.

The after market 4 connector harness for Ford, the wire colors match the Tekonsha controller wires.

To The Warden; Those harnesses are available from most any RV store. I have the Ford harness for sale, PM me.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have wired a regular 12v light bulb to the output of my brake controller, since I don't trust the LED in the controller(It sometimes lies to me for some reason). You may want to do the same, to verify if you really are sending voltage back there on the blue wire. If you are not, maybe you have a mechanical problem on the trailer?

I was going to hook a wire to the brake line output at the trailer female plug on the back of the truck and hook it to a test light and clip it to my tailgate and drive down the road to see if rogue signals are coming outLOL

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
All Tekonsha brake controllers have four wires out the back of them.

Black---Battery Pos.
White--Battery Neg.
Blue----Trailer Brakes
Red----Signal from brake switch

If your using the Ford OEM 4 connector harness, then the light Green wire connects to the Red wire on the controller. Every Ford truck with a towing package came with a 4 connector harness.

The after market 4 connector harness for Ford, the wire colors match the Tekonsha controller wires.

To The Warden; Those harnesses are available from most any RV store. I have the Ford harness for sale, PM me.

What other telltale signs are there harness-wise that shows the truck had a tow package? My truck has two rogue plugs at the driverside rear that a factory 7 pin connects to....just curious and I'd like to know where to look under the dash for the brake controller wires? I've been meaning to hook up ONE of the Tekonsha controllers I have. Sorry to hijack......

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Make sure you dont have your running lights wired to the brake output . When I got my truck, some genius had wired the thing that way

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Myself, I highly dis-trust/dis-like all factory "trailer packages" and such stuff as "plug-n-play" adapters; they are usually cause for most trailer electrical woes.

As for the good old trusty metal six-pin plug, many many people, even trailer manufacturers and sales people, wire the standard six-pin plug WRONG.

In the outer circle of five pins, there is one marked "S", meaning, for some unknown reason, trailer-brake "supply"; this is where the brake wire should be connected.

Why they didn't label that pin "B" for "brakes" is beyond me.

The center "A" pin is for "auxilliary".

Some route an always-HOT through the "A" to charge the silly break-away battery.

If the trailer (or truck) is wrongly wired, having an always-HOT on either of the "S" pins and one or the other of the brake wires on an "A" pin, then you will get the effect that you are getting.

My advice = starting from front to plug, completely re-wire the whole business, eliminating all tow-package and plug-n-play junk from the system.

I am NEVER on the side of the road trying to figure out why something electrical isn't functioning properly on any of my trucks or trailers; every light lights and every function performs EVERY TIME; no brag --- just fact. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller