Tech 101: Windshield trim removal tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I looked all over the net for a tutorial to remove the windshield trim. I practiced on the parts truck and guess what??? I still screwed up.

You must be registered for see images attach

So I'm writing this in hopes of saving someone else a windshield.

There are two types of clips on the windshield trim. The top and sides use this type.

It looks like this installed on the little pins.

And profile.

The gist of it is the trim pushes down on it and it will spring into the groove on the trim.

To release it, take the hook tool, and work it in under the trim between the glass and trim. With the trim removed, it should look like this.

These come off pretty easy. I recommend doing the sides first starting at the lower corners. Then do the top.

The lower piece clips on a little different. I'm not sure why but it does. Here is what they look like.

And installed.

Notice it is attached on 2 pins. One on either side. To release these, you have to make sure you grab the center section of them like this.

When you are feeling along with the tool, you will catch the edge near the pin. If you don't know how the clip is made, you will struggle trying to lift it off, and that's how I chipped the windshield and it cracked. Here is what I mean.

Don't do this!!!!

I'm so special I got the trim off the first truck without even realizing this. Not sure what it says about me. At least I don't have to be too concerned about getting paint on the windshield because it won't pass inspection that way.

[emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

Like I said, hopefully someone will learn from my mistake.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty damn good!!

I use a flimsy paint roller scraper tool for removing trim..done lots never thought to make tech 101...

Great job

Thanks;Sweet

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The actual tool looks like a traffic arrow.
Small triangle with a handle opposite the point.
Will make it real easy.
Fwiw cb

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty damn good!!

I use a flimsy paint roller scraper tool for removing trim..done lots never thought to make tech 101...

Great job

Thanks;Sweet

I use a flat putty knife also. You can lightly pry up on the side pieces, and you can tell were the clips are. Once you know where the clips are, pry with the putty knife right at the clip and the trim will come off the clip without bending the trim. Move clip to clip and get the side pieces off. You can then sometimes pry on the top and bottom pieces and get them started off the clips near the outside A pillar, and then grab and slide the upper and lower trim off the clips.

I never have been able to get the special tool to work for me.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Laser - that sucks that you cracked the windshield. Windshield for my truck was like 60 bucks from my local parts store where I also buy my paint supplies. So shop around for a windshield should be cheap to replace. Hell there is a glass shop about 1.5hrs from here where most windshields installed are under $200 bucks.

They aren't hard to replace yourself either. Normally I knife them out with a $20 windshield knife and they aren't hard to install either. You should have two people to put them in though. I've done them by myself, but i put a lot of tape around the opening to keep the urethane off!

Thanks for the write up!
Jeremy

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Never broke a windshield but most of my trim clips on Fords have been fairly rusty and weak. Now for the windshield reseal tutorial?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't be replacing it myself. Hell, safelite will do it for $188 and they are usually higher than balls on a giraffe. Besides, it's not really a priority. Don't need the windshield to be clean to get it running and driving. Just for the safety inspection.

Runningaford

Reaction score
Good tutorial; the pics are worth a 1000 words. The one thing I found necessary when doing this, was to have a little patience; the trim being aluminum isn't too forgiving once bent.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm...

I had a piece of trim (the upper right corner that ends in the center) fly off. I've tried to reinstall it and I guess I didn't do it right.

Does it go back on by installing the clips on the rivets first, or do you install it on the posts and then push the trim onto the clip? I tried both ways and I can't get it back on...

How about a trim installation Tech 101? :dunno

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
On mine, The clips AND rivets have rusted to nothing. Found the clips online but how do you replace the rivets that attaches them and find new trim?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm...

I had a piece of trim (the upper right corner that ends in the center) fly off. I've tried to reinstall it and I guess I didn't do it right.

Does it go back on by installing the clips on the rivets first, or do you install it on the posts and then push the trim onto the clip? I tried both ways and I can't get it back on...

How about a trim installation Tech 101? :dunno

As soon as I put it back on. [emoji6] seriously though, the clips go in the rivets and the trim should just push on and snap. If I think of it I'll add it to this thread.

On mine, The clips AND rivets have rusted to nothing. Found the clips online but how do you replace the rivets that attaches them and find new trim?
Wish I could help you this one. Short of welding new pins on, I really don't know what you would do about that.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See Doorman? Or Auto body shop guys for the pins

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
I'll let the pics speak for themselves.