1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tapping sound on my 7.3 idi

Discussion in '911 Diesel Down!' started by mustangmalibu, May 24, 2019.

1. mustangmalibu

mustangmalibu Registered User

Hello all,
    I've been working for months trying to find out what this knock in my engine is it starts as a tapping as it gets warmer it starts getting louder and louder and louder if you drive it long enough it sounds like it's going to throw a rod. I posted on this form before and I got the same usual answers. It's an injector bad injector, etc. It has a brand new injection pump, brand new injectors straight from stanadyne cost me five hundred bucks. And for the life of me I cannot find out what this tapping that turns into a knock is. I've been working on it for 3 months now it's about to put me out of business. Every time I take it to a shop they don't know either unless I give them $500 to investigate. And drop my truck off for a couple of days which I cannot do because I have a business that revolves completely around this truck. I haul horses all over and facilitate horseback riding all over the place in Central California. I have read every posting every form everything you can possibly imagine. Over and over over but to no avail it starts as a small tap but that's only after it warms up when you first start it and it's cold it's runs perfectly. Like a brand new engine. Then after it reaches about a hundred eighty degrees it starts with a tap and gets louder and louder and louder. The engine has 48,000 miles on it but was sitting in a truck in a field for about 10 years but it is a brand new engine the truck was covered. Anyway I'm about at my Wit's End and I need this truck desperately so if anybody can help me I would certainly appreciate it thank you...
    P.S. I tried to upload a file video and it doesn't work. Says the files too large. It's a 30 second video I will continue to try to upload one.

2. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Vendor Supporting Member

As said in the last thread, it’s a lifter

3. mustangmalibu

mustangmalibu Registered User

Thank you sir. I thought it might be that too, but I had other people telling me it was a fuel knock.
    Any advice changing those?
    I have a whole other engine.