1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tank selector unit

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by 1992 idi 73, Nov 11, 2019.

1. 1992 idi 73

1992 idi 73 Registered User

Yesterday I filled up and flipped over to my front tank and took a road trip pulling a 14 foot enclosed trailer . When I got to my destination(hour drive) I noticed that the gauge had not moved! I flipped the tank gauge and my back tank showed a 2/3 tank. I'm guessing that its a stuck solenoid on the fuel selector so is there a good way to unstuck it. If it is broken is it interchangeable with gas units. Educate me please, Thanks.

2. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

The gauge switching gets done in the switch. Valve is only fuel selection.
    You probably have a bad sender. Some have gotten them to work by running a heavy shot of fuel cleaner, or biodiesel.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Might on some years, I know on my 91 the gauge switches internally to the selector valve. There are moving contacts inside the switch.

4. franklin2

franklin2 Full Access Member

All years switched the sending unit fuel levels at the valve on the frame. It has a little motor in the valve, and it has the fluid section that switches the lines, and it has the switch section that switches the sending units.

You will find the local parts stores sell these valves, if you want to do a search use the term "pollack valve" The valves in the stores are cheaper, but they are generic. Same exact valve made by the same company, but the lines won't plug right in, and the wiring won't plug right in, Ford contracted them to make a custom valve just for them. I think you can still get the valve from Ford, but it's not cheap.

Here recently I had seen links to a valve (made in China?) that was on Amazon or Ebay, and it may be plug and play I am not sure. Do some checking on that.

RetiringColt likes this.
  5. 1992 idi 73

Alright thanks for all the responses. I will check my switch after school and if that's not it then I'll see if I can free up and test the selector valve.

6. HawkDavis

HawkDavis Registered User

rock auto has them, about $250.00

7. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

Actually, I may be thinking of gm.
    I do seem to recall some threads about bypassing the selector valve, having to connect the wires at the valve itself to get the gauge to work.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

8. 1992 idi 73

My issue is that the gauge works fine, the selector valve is stuck on the back tank even though the switch is on the front tank.

9. franklin2

franklin2 Full Access Member

Some people fight it and replace the valve every so often. They do have a habit of going bad. Some people get rid of it and just run one large tank in the back.

10. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Ah ok. It can be disassembled and cleaned if that is the issue. You're better off replacing it though.

The four rivets will need to be drilled out and replaced with screws on assembly.

There's a write-up on here somewhere but I can't find it.

Selahdoor likes this.
  11. Selahdoor

Selahdoor How can I help you, or make you laugh, today? Supporting Member

Use this, on Google, to search:

site:www.oilburners.net

Put a space after it, and then whatever you want to search.

It's better than most forum search engines.

chillman88 likes this.
  12. aggiediesel01

aggiediesel01 Registered User

13. Clb

Clb Another old truck Supporting Member

Chevron techron fuel additive to clean the rheostat and old bulls fsv 101 in the tech section!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  14. 1992 idi 73

Update: I bought that same selector in the link( just off of amazon ) and it works great! At the same time I pulled my front tank(makes it easier to get to the valve) to replace my shower head that was floating around in the bottom of the tank. I think that some of the garbage of the front tank jammed the selector while it was on my back tank and when I tried to flip tanks it jammed. I might get around to taking the old unit apart after school tomorrow, if so I'll post about what I found.

chillman88 likes this.