Talk me down off the edge, I think the engine is toast

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took 9 years for me to get around to it, but I did really want to see what had happened to this motor. That would be what was left of the #8 connecting rod. No issues with valvetrain.
It looks like the PO ran it low on oil which is why it quit on the side of the road. He left that detail out.
There is blueing on other connecting rod surfaces as well. The motor may be salvageable however if I can figure out how to get that connecting rod loose so things will spin again.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull all the rod caps off then bump the pistons to clear the crank. Remove the main caps. That crank will probably be too damaged to repair anyway. Hopefully the rod cap nuts were not that loose.
You may even have damage to the base of the #8 cylinder casting. Beat the hell outta that rod

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the plan. This is a Jasper reman motor and the rods all have STD written on them. I am holding out hope that since the crank hasn't been turned it may have enough meat on it to be salvaged. This will be a slow budget build for daily driver. I don't really need the motor, but my kids are interested so we will try to get it back together and just stick it on the shelf. I'll try to post more updates, but it took 9 years for me to get into it, so there is no telling how long it will be to get it back together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight