Taking the dye out of farm fuel?

that stinky ford

Reaction score
"Its just a gasser officer, I swear!" Really though, has anyone ever been pulled over, and gotten a white rag stuffed in their tank?

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Its just a gasser officer, I swear!" Really though, has anyone ever been pulled over, and gotten a white rag stuffed in their tank?
Some states apparently do check, but if you are a private citizen, you must first grant them permission. Kind of like when a cop asks if he can search your vehicle for drugs. If you have drugs, of course you say "NO!". But a lot of people think they can only say "yes sir" when asked for a search...

Commercial vehicles are different, and more commonly checked. They stand to save a lot more, and of course cause a lot more damage to the road. Cops are more concerned about big rigs tearing up the road and not paying taxes, more than your little F250.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
1) Holy thread ressurection batman! :rotflmao

Some states apparently do check, but if you are a private citizen, you must first grant them permission..

2) WRONG! You must only give them permission if it is a pullover. Just the fact it is a diesel is considered "just cause" for checking your tank because they can claim they believe you may be running illegal (untaxed) fuel, and the ONLY way you can even argue against it is if you have a locked gas cap, then you can refuse to have your tank "searched" only with a warrant.

Now, in ND and MN, refusal to let them dip your tank is like refusing a breathalizer, automatic fail the same as if you fail the test.

your results may vary, check your local laws on dipping tanks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) Holy thread ressurection batman! :rotflmao

2) WRONG! You must only give them permission if it is a pullover. Just the fact it is a diesel is considered "just cause" for checking your tank because they can claim they believe you may be running illegal (untaxed) fuel, and the ONLY way you can even argue against it is if you have a locked gas cap, then you can refuse to have your tank "searched" only with a warrant.

Now, in ND and MN, refusal to let them dip your tank is like refusing a breathalizer, automatic fail the same as if you fail the test.

your results may vary, check your local laws on dipping tanks
in Kali.....
no locking cap = no search warrant necessary
locking cap installed and secured = permission or search warrant required. Refusal to do so does not carry the same penalties as a DUI.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one gallon of filtered used diesel oil will turn red into black and add lubricity to the whole tank...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
It may change the color, but it does not change the chemical marker of the dye.

The dye is not just a color, it is also a specific chemical composition, that is detectable regardless of color. This dye is also added at a lever that it takes a 20x dilution for the dye to become undetectable. In layman terms, 1 full tank of dyed fuel takes 20+ tanks to become completely undetectable.

In Indiana, I know of several private parties that have gotten nailed for red fuel. Since it is considered TAX EVASION, the fine in Indiana is $100,000 for running the red fuel. So, right now, Off-Road Diesel is $2.34 a gallon, and On-Road Diesel is $2.53.... so it would take A LOT of fuel to make up the $100,000 dollar fine, so I will just keep running the taxed stuff......

I've also heard on the newer trucks, with the low micron filters, they actually grab some of the dye, which plugs the filter. So, I just saved 3 bucks on this tank of fuel, but just plugged up a $50 fuel filter...... nope, not worth it.......

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You are incorrect! I was specifically referring to Oregon, it varies state by state. A cop cannot just randomly check your tank without your permission anymore than he can check the interior contents of your car. Just because a door is unlocked does not mean the officer can open it and search your car. If your state has a specific law about checking fuel then it may vary, but in most states, it DOES NOT!

Even if they were allowed to check your tank without permission it is not something they are interested in for private vehicles in Oregon. Even my dad who was a commercial hazmat truck driver for 30 years has never heard of anybody getting their tank dipped. DOT checked him at every opportunity with a truck load of dangerous chemicals.

Get a locking gas cap, and in every state they need a warrant to open it, this is a fact. They will not get a warrant without strong evidence suggesting they need one.

The dye is not just a color, it is also a specific chemical composition, that is detectable regardless of color. This dye is also added at a lever that it takes a 20x dilution for the dye to become undetectable. In layman terms, 1 full tank of dyed fuel takes 20+ tanks to become completely undetectable.
Totally incorrect. Like I just said in the other thread, I was just sold a truck overflowing with 90 gallons of red fuel. After I burned it down to 25% in each tank (as far as my truck will go) and refilled with clear diesel, it was almost clear again. As soon as I added 2 cycle oil the entire batch turned dark green. The red color very much is used as a visual indicator, that's why they color it such a deep red. If it wasn't used as a visual indicator they wouldn't need so much of it and it wouldn't be bright red. Pretty much anything you mix with it will get rid of this color. And you really should not run straight ULSD in anything.

Yes, they still can put your fuel through further testing and possibly detect it; however, there would be no reason what so ever to be suspicious enough to check. Unless maybe you are a commercial driver, which is not what we are talking about. They are also not going to fine you if they find a .001% trace of dyed fuel in your tank, they are looking for heavy doses in big trucks.

I've also heard on the newer trucks, with the low micron filters, they actually grab some of the dye, which plugs the filter. So, I just saved 3 bucks on this tank of fuel, but just plugged up a $50 fuel filter...... nope, not worth it.......
Complete nonsense! If that was true it would plug the filters on everything else. Plenty of farm stuff uses 1 micron fuel filters just like everybody else. :rolleyes: That's just an internet rumor - and a bad one at that. If you have a farm it is perfectly acceptable and legal to go buy a new 2015 Powerstroke and drive it around full of red fuel on your property. Modern diesel engines on farm equipment are just as picky as those on our trucks.

Now let's all be clear, burning red fuel on the road is TAX EVASION, and no different than laundering money in a swiss bank account. If you're driving on the road pay your damn taxes like everybody else.

And I'm really, really, really not sure why anybody would be so stupid as to purposely burn red fuel on the road, if you want to evade taxes all you have to do is save your receipts and send in for a refund. Both the state and the IRS will gladly write your a check for the difference!

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
All depends on area. Around here with a lot of farm country, trucks are dipped often. Expecially at fairs and the like, when people are driving the farm trucks. I have got dipped once. They do it around here like a dui checkpoint. Pull in every diesel powered vehicle and dip.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some years back I had some red in gallon containers out in the back yard. The red dye was fading from the sunlight.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bentonite plugs up the walls of a domestic water' well just imagine what it would do to an ip....