Tach Sensor Fix!

Status
Not open for further replies.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as we all know our tach sensors are prone to having the wire sheathing split as it enters the sensor and leaving us with no choice but to head down to the dealer and bend over for a new one. Well not any more guys! In a effort to fix my intermediate tach, I set out to find a better way to do this. With some help from other guys on a different forums and a few guys on here identifying wire colors, I installed a new tach sensor for $38. Here's How I did it:

You will need a crankshaft sensor from a GM 2.0 motor. I know, its a GM part but maybe Ford should have reasonable prices. I went down and asked for a 1989 Cavalier sensor. Get the wiring pigtail for it as well. These two came to $38 at Autozone, although most stores were within a few dollars of each other. Then, get a 3/4 x 16 DIE from Napa. I didn't have this so it cost $4.50
You must be registered for see images

You can see it that pic that the new sensor is already threaded by the die, heres a close up. The threads are not exactly the same, as the die is a pipe thread I believe and the sensor is not, but it is damn close.

Next, just screw in the new sensor, its pretty snug, and I used a little thread lock to hold it in place and seal it. I screwed it in all the way to the timing gear, then backed it off a 1/2 turn and it works perfectly. Cut the old connector off and splice in your new sensor. It doesnt matter which way you hook the wires up as its AC current. Hook it up and watch your tach work perfectly!

Last edited:

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been thinking about a way to fix the Ford sensor first, but that was a bust. The when I was replacing the CPS on my dads excursion I noticed that it was a magnetic sensor, just like my tach. It obviously couldn't be made to fit, so I started looking for something that would. I did some searching through other forums, and found a guy, cant rememeber where, that used the 2.0 sensor to replace his tach. So admittedly, its not entirely my idea. I haven't seen anything about this over here though so I wrote this up for you guys.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't recall how many times I posted the same fix, only with using a Ford CPS. Any sensor that uses the Hall effect will work.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, well I didnt find anything. Either would work I guess. Like I said I wasn't just my idea.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
It's nice to know there are alternatives to the pricey dealer parts. I will have to see if I can find the other fix as well, you can never have too many options.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen several of these with different sensours, as OldBull said, as long as it's a Hall Effect pickup it will work. Nice to know though, I like the wiring connections on that one.

cheap bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats awsome. I dont think it will work for us turbo guys, since the vacuum pump is in the way

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wish I saw this a couple weeks ago. I would've saved 40$. A few posts talked about using a psd sensor, but I couldn't see how it would fit. If that part is plastic I bet you could shove it in or run it through a nut to cut the threads.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The threads seem slightly off because the GM sensor is a little smaller than what the 3/4-16NF die is meant for. I'd recommend using a nut to keep the sensor from migrating.

The sensor body can safely be cut at the o-ring groove, then you can solder directly to the metal leads.

If you're adventurous, you can punch out the OEM sensor from the threaded body, and turn down the GM sensor on a lathe. A little epoxy and you'll be back in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.