Tach has power but not reading anything

Dylastephens

Reaction score
My tach is not working in my 1993 f350 7.3 idi with the e4od transmission causing it to go into limp mode. And sometimes the tach works and it shifts fine other times it doesn’t work at all and I have to shift it manually. I have pulled the sensor and cleaned it but nothing changed.

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Dylastephens my guess is the sensor is toast that's in the block , check voltage at the sensor and contact points at the plug for burn marks

Does it work over 1k + on the rpms and reads zero under 1k?
Does is shift fine at 1/2 to full throttle ?
Does the trans hunt in stop go city driving?

There are also two more senors , ones in the trans and the other is in the diff

Chrono558

Reaction score
When the tach is dead, is the O/D light flashing or is it off as well? If the tach is dead and the O/D light is off (not flashing) then I'd suspect that the TECA is losing power or ground somewhere.

Dylastephens

Reaction score
The tach Either works fine or not at all and my od light never comes on even when I press the button the light won’t come on and my speedometer works so I don’t think it’s the speed sensor and when I put it in drive it is in a high gear at all times unless the tach works

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Dylastephens , your case is a little different, you don't have a light on at the OD switch or flashing for that matter, so you need to check the ground for the switch and find out if your getting power or not ,

Last edited:

Dylastephens

Reaction score
I found out that the tach only works if the engine is warmed up and once it is warm I can shut the engine off and restart it and it works fine till it cools down

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad sensor. Still haven’t answered my q about the wires coming out of the sensor. Those tend to become bare over time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.