Synthetic oil in......

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my chevys I always replaced the oils with synthetics... Help me out on this

Transfer Case---- Can I use Mobil1 Syn ATF? or should I leave it as is..

Rear End already has Syn, on other trucks it is recoended it is changed at 5,000 miles... This seams not to have that recomendation... Ideas???

Dana 60 front---Book shows premium rear axle lubricant... Wouldn't moble1 syn be better for the front????

Torqshift--- MOBLE1 Syn ATF?????? I am a big beleiver in syn tranny fluid, and I don't think it comes with it....

Thanks all!

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I now run synthetic engine oil due to cold weather starting experinces. It has porved itself. I am the one rare person that usually sticks to what the manufacturere recomends. The next thing that goes synthetic on my truck is the trans fluid but other than that I am probably going to leave well enough alone.
At best you may get some perfomance advantage and at worst you will get nothing. If you think its rite, go for it. At least you get a pice of mind.
Ken

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my chevy... When I changed the Transfer case oil over to syn..... The fluid looked like metalic paint.... From that point on I swore to change the tc fluid often..... Right now, its my main concern...

swanee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as the synthetics meet the specs, why not?.;Poke I've seen a couple of things saying that the Mercon SP is a synthetic, but nothing I completely trust, so I'd still consider that a rumor.;Really I know that there are cautions against using dual rated Mercon/Mercon V in the 4R100 trannys, but not sure if the same applys to our xfer cases. Sorry I can't be of more help

lennox69

Reaction score
I'm running synthetic trans fluid and drop my trans temp way low when pulling my fifth wheel. I would change it if i were you. synthetic is also recommended for allison trans i have no idea on your ford trans,i would still change it...once i hit 40,000 miles every lube there is in my truck will be synthetic..just my 2 rusty cents..

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was until 40K..... Then it was only two thousand dollars between fixing it and a new truck... Not cool... I have always drove chevys, and its a learning experience with this Ford.... So far I have learned that there is not a synthetic made to the torqshifts specs, so that fluid stays.... And I will be changing the transfer case over once it is broke in... Im at 366 miles... LOL....

NOGM

Reaction score
Ummm, changing the trans fluid to anything other than Mercon SP is a no no for Ford and will void the warranty. Mercon SP IS a synthetic fluid and a dang good one at that, so I would leave well enough alone! As for the engine, I like the regular old dino oil as I change mine every 3K, period, and I can't justify spending that much for no improvement in performance or mileage gains. But, to each his/her own, I have tried them both. The 6.0s shear down the synthetics just like they are dino oils, but I have had better luck with romping issues if the truck still has the quiet idle, be it either pilot injection or the lower ICP pressure. My SCT uses the latest calibrations from Ford, so it doesn't have the quiet idle and it doesn't romp with the 15W/40 Delo or Rotella, and I like the louder idle. So really it just depends on whether you want to spend the extra money or not.

The rear ends already have synthetic in them, so just change them at regular intervals and you will be fine.:cool

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01