Surprise under valve cover

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got the truck running for the first time in 6 years, I noticed some bubbling at the corner of the drivers side head. Time to re-torque. Of course it can't be that simple. Effin broken headbolt.
Also 2 of the pushrods are out of round on the top, you can see in the pics.
The motor only has around 35k since rebuild, 95k total
You must be registered for see images attach
on the truck. How the hell could you break a headbolt like that if using a torque wrench.
If anyone has a headbolt and a couple pushrods let me know. Thanks

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I've popped the head off a new headbolt at 85 ft lbs, more than once. And with a different torque wrench each time thinking calibration was off. As for the push rods,:***:. Pulled an 85 6.9 out with over 300k on it and push rods looked better than that. In fact I'm pretty sure I threw em back in after rebuild and still running em! Not sure why they're outta round like that with that few of miles on them.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one end of these pushrods have small hole in the side near the bottom. When I pulled them out, from what I seen the small side hole was towrds the bottom. Am I going to be able to pull this head over that broken bolt?

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neither end is brass. But the ends that I thought had holes were only indents. Maybe they are there so you know to put that end down.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just pulled one of my engines apart. On mine, there is a slight ``wash'' of brass around the lower half of the upper end on all 16 push rods, just like the manual said. Maybe yours aren't stock?

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know much of the history of this motor. A new block and everything swapped over.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That bolt shouldn't be difficult to pull out with the head broken off. All of the tension is off the threads.

Aren't those indents what hold the ball stud in the tube? It's a copper "wash" on the end. Not brass ends

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ends are clean. No sign of copper. The indent side was in the motor on all of them.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't remember the brand, but the new pushrods that we used to use didn't have that copper color on either end.

Ayla

Reaction score
When I got the truck running for the first time in 6 years, I noticed some bubbling at the corner of the drivers side head. Time to re-torque. Of course it can't be that simple. Effin broken headbolt.
Also 2 of the pushrods are out of round on the top, you can see in the pics.
The motor only has around 35k since rebuild, 95k total
on the truck. How the hell could you break a headbolt like that if using a torque wrench.
If anyone has a headbolt and a couple pushrods let me know. Thanks

I've busted ARP studs at torque down. Sometimes you get a flawed one and this is the result. Unfortunately you have to tear the head off and redo the gasket. rockauto.com is where I get a lot of my parts. But there is also bay, amazon and several other places you could acquire needed supplies.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Top of the motor off today. hopefully the exhaust manifold won't be a problem. Maybe the head will be off Wednesday. This sucks.