1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

surging at road speed, more noticable with cruise on

Discussion in '7.3L Powerstroke Diesels' started by compressionignitionrules, Nov 20, 2020.

1. compressionignitionrules

compressionignitionrules Full Access Member

my 96 F250 2wd 7.3 E4OD. feels like its boost and then no boost, I never hear the turbo so I'm not really sure. mostly highway commute to work 45 min each way. no codes or engien light. it soemtimes starts and stalls with cold starts, but if I give it a wee bit of throttle on those starts its fine. has lots of miles on it, stock as far as I can tell. idle is soemtimes erratic but temp doesn't seem to make any difference. great on fuel and lots of power, and no engien light. i am suspecting my icp sensor or maybe soemthing with the exhaust backpressure sensor. any other ideas. i realize this might be a shot because of no engien light. thansk in advance for input/opinions. cheers James

oh yeah aprox 385,000 miles, or around 620,000 km 106297528_192466272193632_4497628392870111677_n.jpg

2. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

With the psd (or any engine really) i still advise scanning for codes, even with no apparent light. You just may find something.
    Icp sensor is a good starting point. You've ruled out the TPS/APPS by still acting up with cruise engaged.
    The ebpv and ebps could be a issue, but wouldn't cause the stall.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

3. dsrace

dsrace sand toys

watch your tps on the scanner. you will need a scanner to view live data or wait till what ever fails altogether.

4. compressionignitionrules

I don't have a scanner, bought a programmer but it turns out it only works on 7.3 in superduty. but it does read codes. nothign has showed up yet using the read option. thanks for the ideas guys.

5. greenskeeper

greenskeeper Full Access Member

What is your fuel pressure at idle? under load?

Has the regulator ever been rebuilt? Has the screen at the regulator been cleaned?

6. compressionignitionrules

I don't have scanner only code reader. on satruday i hauled my trailer and load , around 6000lbs behind the truck and did not notice any surging, . it surprised me, cruise on or off seemed to make no difference. rpms were in the 1500-2000 rpm range . no passing , easy acceleration from stop when I'm towing > hate to waste the fuel.

7. compressionignitionrules

ok I've run it a few days with the connector to the turbo unplugged, surging is gone and way more passing power. still need an icp sensor as its hard start and rough idle but at least one problem is cleared up. still no engine lite staying on. I think my fuel economy has improved too, but warm up is definitely affected. below freezing temps at night make for not much heat now .