supercharged IDI

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol@ being gutted and none of his gauges working. Screw looks, go right for the power.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I have questions about this.
On a N/A engine would it be more beneficial to a a turbo or a S/C?
If you add either one what mods would need to be done to the engine to get the best performance and the most for your money?

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
A properly sized turbo setup will out perform a supercharger in almost every application

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A turbo will definitely make more horsepower overall than a supercharger depending on the size of the turbo but a supercharger will win in the torque department due to the fact that the boost comes on so much quicker. Also a supercharger will allow you to add more fuel and still be able to clean it up cus of that early boost. As soon as I am able to move and have a garage to work in, I will put on my Eaton M112 and my Holset Hx50 turbo kit. It should be a pretty cool setup and I think it will perform pretty well overall...

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
A properly sized turbo setup will out perform a supercharger in almost every application

A properly sized turbo setup is MORE EFFICIENT than a supercharger in almost every application. As far as performance, it is not difficult to get the same numbers from a super, it just takes a few more marks in that annoying "how much fuel will this cost me" colomb. Not only that, but in EVERY SINGLE driveability aspect you cannot beat a supercharger.

Forced air is the best way to make more power.
Turbo does it cheaper
but a Super is WAY more fun.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I suppose that's why heavy duty diesels moved from superchargers to turbos, and Detroits added a turbo on top of the necessary blower. Not to mention turbos are banned in a lot of sanctioning bodies. Wonder what pro-mod would look like if turbos were allowed. The wasted energy of a turbo is less than any supercharger setup you could create. Less wasted energy=more power, more efficiently.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
You get into extreme numbers and driveability actually does become a safety concern.

that and the efficiency of most centrifugal superchargers is not actually that far from turbo numbers.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I like the idea of a supercharger. They need power to turn them too. Thats generally 7 to 10% power loss at the crank. Looking at a top fuel engine making 8000 hp the loss is as high as 800 hp just to drive the super charger. Thats more than three na idi engines put together. I tip my hat to anyone that takes the time to add a supercharger to an idi. I live about 3 miles from the blower shop called BDS (Blower Drive Service). I took an ebay listing of an idi that was fitted with one of their superchargers asking if they did that application.. Nope.. They had nothing to do with that build but their head engineer told me they would make an intake manifold for around $18,000.00 for me... The price would be less for more than one... Nope... Not interested in that... Even if it was free I still could justify the time and money to add that to an idi. The ebay truck had the charger mounted on top of the engine too....

Last edited:

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have read from guys who have a supercharger and turbocharger and their diesel, they say that the driveability and towing ability is insane! With the low end power from the supercharger, they are able to use less throttle to maintain speed with the load they are towing. Less throttle is definitely a good thing. On top of that, the extra boost using up the excess fuel lowers egts...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online