Sudden Oil cooler leak

onebadiditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok oil cooler suddenly sprung a leak during this cold snap. It's on my 94 7.idi. it's leaking out the rear header bolt hole. It's just leaking oil to the outside in about a 1/4 size stream, it's not mixing coolant. Any quick temp repair, I can't really afford for the truck to be down right now and I don't have the time or place to rebuild it at the moment due to weather and this cold snap.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is no quick fix.
with these the regulator is prone to not work correctly.
nothing you can do but pull the manifold, pull the oil cooler, and replace the O-rings.
its not that bad of a job. can be done in a driveway in a couple of hours.

I use a jack and the frame of the truck to put the cooler back together with lubed o-rings

onebadiditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So will resealingthe cooler address the regulator or...well that's not what I wanted to hear but I guess it is what it is. What needs to be done to address the regulator?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say if it's leaking oil that bad it needs to be repaired quickly, or your gonna run out of oil. There is no quick fix for that except to check the bolts for the correct torque. The rear bolts are 5/16"-18, torque is 12 to 18 ft lb., front bolts are 3/8"-16, torque is 22 to 32 ft lb. If the bolts had come loose for some reason, the gasket could have blown, that would require replacing it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what I was getting at, was you cant get another cooler, and install that one.
the reguators are known to drop oil pressure at hot idle.
if yours is good, rebuild it, rather than gambling on buying another one to install.

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
I have the same Truck,with the same problem.Got my O rings/gaskets from ford.Also my fuel filter heater O ring is gone, and my speedo /odometer packed it in.Sucks doing this work in the middle of winter.I have a second car so the Truck can sit.Check out U Tube there is video of this being done,some remover power steering pump,some motor mount and jack engine.I too would like to know the best way to tackle this job.Good luck.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was able to replace mine with the manifold off and the engine and PS in place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online