Subways DT360 into my 94 F350

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're only running E-fans right? I can't believe that's enough to keep her cool.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
But it is a bigger engine in a "smaller" truck. It's not exactly working as hard as a IDI would.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya but tighter fit so I would think more heat. That's pretty cool though. Wish I had the coin to do this swap!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Yea I ran for months and towed without fans. It was not in the peak of summer but up the mid 80's running through state collage with a 27 ft 5th wheel.

I would far prefer a engine fan but the 2 pulllers and one pusher seem to be fine so far.

So far what I have noticed is yes the fans definitely help but good airflow is better. I am toying with moving to a smaller intercooler and maybe even the condensor in my bumper area to open air flow to the radiator.

It has not been a problem so far and only heats up when I really push towing hard hills but I would prefer more cooling capacity.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

subway

Reaction score
Not much to update, just doing some poking around before I tear it down. I found a 14" pull clutch rated for 640 ft lbs of torque for 300 with free flywheel resurfacing. I also found out there is a decent chance my spicer transmission yoke will bolt to the eaton fuller. I hope so, that would save me about 175 from buying another. The rest should just be me rebuilding mounts.

One plus is the transmissions are the same length so I should not have to change any drive line stuff.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is that a non syncro trans? like in a big rig you don't use the clutch to shift just take off.

subway

Reaction score
is that a non syncro trans? like in a big rig you don't use the clutch to shift just take off.
No, it is fully synchronized. From what I am reading it should probably shift similar to a solid T-19 and less like a ZF. Just a more solid feel and good at floating gears without the clutch once you get past 1st. I know it is easy to shift without the clutch on my current spicer. Solid shifts but not as fast as a car transmission. Swinging the large clutch up to speed slows down the shifts some.

I hope I get to find out soon[emoji16]

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll get used to it real quick, I love those big eatons, if you need parts I have two sitting in the yard here. Big part of how they shift is the bushing you put into the shifter where it connects to the tower, but youve got that sorted already I'm sure.

subway

Reaction score
You'll get used to it real quick, I love those big eatons, if you need parts I have two sitting in the yard here. Big part of how they shift is the bushing you put into the shifter where it connects to the tower, but youve got that sorted already I'm sure.
That is new to me, I have been trying to read up on them but medium duty stuff is harder to find info on with user experience. I can find rebuild manuals really easy though. Anything spacific I should check for the shifter bushing. Besides that I have just heard to make sure the input shaft bearing is good.

I might need a 1550 size rear yoke if mine does not swap over if you have one.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mostly don't want your bushing looking like this:
You must be registered for see images attach

Just make sure that bushing is tight and doesn't have any play, put it in a vice and see if you can move it with a 1/2" socket extension. Don't have any rear yokes, our employees have become masters of destroying them and man those things are pricey!

subway

Reaction score
Wow, I checked over the transmission and the top shifter, output and input feel tight with no real play.

Well I made some progress tonight and got some good news. It only took about 2 hrs but the spicer transmission dropped right out.

I know, not much for a picture but I got in a groove. I do have to say that I am not impressed with the Eastwood paint I used. I have fresh rust breaking out all over the parts I even dipped in the paint twice.

Anyway, the good news is that the input shaft is the same length and the pilot bushing fits so no custom input bushing or replacement input shaft. It even looks like I might be able to re use my mounts with minimal modification.

Tomorrow I plan to pick up my clutch and get the flywheel cleaned up. See if I can get it back together this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online