Stuck injectors

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So besides my MazdaBishi swap, I drive a 1985 Jeep Cherokee with the rare(in the US, anyways) Renault 2.1 Turbo Diesel in it.

I have put a little over 10k on it since making it my daily driver last June.

For most of those miles, I was plagued by what sounded like an exhaust leak coming from the driver's side, but all the manifolds and exhaust are on the other side. About 5k ago I figured out my #1(which on this engine is closest to the firewall) was leaking. And had been doing so for quite some time.

About a week ago I finally decided to do something about it. So I pulled the lines off the injector and pulled the mounting plate off. And the injector would not budge. And the amount of sludge built up around the injector was astounding.

So I parked the Heep, and every time I walked by it for the next week I soaked the injector area with alternating streams of pb blaster and brake cleaner.

Yesterday I was able to pull the injector out by hand.

After some cleaning up of the injector hole, I was able to dig the old copper gasket out and install a new one.

No more psst-psst-psst-psst from my driver's side.

Moral of the story? If you have a leaky injector, don't just keep driving it unless you want to give yourself extra work.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Last edited: