stuck fuel filter.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to remove my fuel filter to get at my injectors, i can't get it to loosen up with my filter wrench. Any one got suggestion of how to get this thing loose, thought about just pounding it off with a hammer and screw driver and just get another.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
This is why they should only be hand tight.
As far as getting it off poke a Screwdriver through it and give it a couple hits with a hammer and it should Come loose.
Had to do this on a oil filter.

Last edited:

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had fuel filters leak on me until i snuged it up tight with a filter wrench. My point being some times hand tight isn't enough but just a little more and it seals tight. With that being said I never had one I couldn't get off either and hand tightness does very.
The above post method does work have had to do the same thing to an oil filter. A chain wrench works too but id hate to beat up the filter head like that.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The proper way to install any filter that has an O'ring, flat rubber gasket or a tapered rubber seal, is to ALWAYS Oil the seal, then when the seal touches the sealing surface, another 3/4 to one turn is sufficient. That makes removal easy with a filter wrench. The trick to remove a stuck filter is to put a piece of sand paper under the wrench band, doubling it back so sand is on both side's, doing that, it makes the band a little tighter and grip.

Sandpaper grit is your choice, but 60 or 80 grit works best.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The proper way to install any filter that has an O'ring, flat rubber gasket or a tapered rubber seal, is to ALWAYS Oil the seal, then when the seal touches the sealing surface, another 3/4 to one turn is sufficient. That makes removal easy with a filter wrench. The trick to remove a stuck filter is to put a piece of sand paper under the wrench band, doubling it back so sand is on both side's, doing that, it makes the band a little tighter and grip.

Sandpaper grit is your choice, but 60 or 80 grit works best.
Yes what ever you do please oil the seal ring always.
Thats a great idea with the sand paper.

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if the filter wrench you're referring to is a rubber strap wrench, the only way you'll get it off is if you punch a hole in it and spin it off. If you don't have a rubber strap wrench a vacuum pump belt flipped inside out works good. Also, I know it sounds silly but make sure you're turning the right way.. Sometimes I get confused and have to think about it!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Get a pipe strap wrench from horrible freight. They are cheap and will work well for what you need. But as already posted. Oil the seal and 3/4 turn after the gasket touches.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are all kinds of filter wrenches, I assumed he has a steel band swivel handle that tightens the band on the filter, like the first HF link, there is actually two sizes of them. Hell, a quarter stick of dynamite will get it off too. :D

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-34-in-oil-filter-swivel-handle-wrench-68963.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-end-cap-oil-filter-wrenches-94096.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/universal-3-jaw-adjustable-oil-filter-wrench-69021.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/locking-oil-filter-wrench-66570.html

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had very good luck with the special pliers made for that.
There are 2 sizes - one for the normal fuel/oil filters and one for
the bigger ones on the medium/heavy trucks/tractors.
A lot faster, if you have the room to use them. The little teeth
grip even a housing someone crushed trying to get it off.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the strap wrench. Had one for 30 years. Used it maybe a dozen times over that period but when I did, it was the only thing that would work. If you use the strap wrench and place the strap up near the base, you have half a chance to get the filter off without crushing it.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a strap wrench that's made out of seat belt style material. Works great on oil filters and fuel filters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online