Stripped hpop bolts

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just had buddy bring his truck by with the hpop leaking oil come to find out he stripped the bolts out on the timing cover I have some helicoils but don't know if thease are blind hole or open in the back how have any o you fixed this problem

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@79jasper I seen that iv already got the helicoils does anyone us some rtv on the gasket when they do theirs iv never had one with stripped bolts and iv done 30 + 7.3 hpops but I can see how they are a common issue also iv never used rtv but herd it's a good addition from a navstar tech

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you're talking about on the hpop gasket, definitely not.
If the reservoir, early versions were part oring, part rtv. Of course use it lightly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So got I all back together and primed the hpop no leaks but also no fire my scanner is saying I'm showing 2200psi icp and 15% on the ipr I have unpluggedtge icp an ipr in an attempt to see *** is goin on do any of you all have any ideas

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
2200 sounds like the default pressure in the pcm.
Ipr unplugged will always cause a no start. Look at it as a on/off switch for the hpop. Defaults open/off.
What is the tach showing while cranking? Take a look at all the sensor readings.
If you didn't have the system dry, I doubt it would be air in the system. But it could be possible.
Even though the pcm is telling you 2200, I would check the hpop drive gear bolt. I had one torqued down once, engine would turn by the bolt, so would think it was tight and all was well. Wouldn't put out any pressure. Turned out the gear wasn't seated to the shaft.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I unplugged the ipr to see if there was a difference and I got the 95 lb mark on the gear but I'll pull the inspection cover and recheck the torque and seat on the gear also the tach is reading 200 rpm while cranking

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I retorqued the bolt and then pulled the fuel filter and cycled the key replace the filter first try she fired right up and no leaks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online