Strange New problem

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a new odd issue with with my truck. I had an EGR Delete installed on my truck. This delete kit removed the EGR Cooler, replaced the passenger up-pipe and left the EGR in place and connected to the harness. Before the delete the truck was running fine. Now I have a strange surging and occasional stumble. It has died a couple times when at idle, in-gear either at a stop, or rolling through a parking lot.

The surge issue feels like the throttle is being stabbed, but is almost instantaneous. IT seems to happen more when the engine is cold, but have had it happen after a 100 mile trip.....

I do have a check engine light with the following codes:

P006A - This is some kind of Mass Airflow Sensor issue

P0401 - EGR Flow Insufficient

P0404 - EGR Control Circuit Range/Performance

P0405 - EGR Sensor A Circuit Low

P2285 - ICP Sensor Circuit Low

I am at a loss what at is causing the problem. The Fuel, Oil, Oil Filter, and Fuel Filters have less than 5000 miles on the, The FICM was repaired last year. The Mass Air Sensor has just been cleaned. The wire harness was checked over and there is no wiring issues. Hopefully someone out there has heard of this, and knows what the fix is.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ICP sensor could very easily cause the random surge. The reason behind this, is the ICP is the feedback signal to the pcm to let the engine controls know what the high pressure oil is doing and the pcm adjusts the IPR (witch has only an input signal, the PCM assumes an IPR is functioning correctly based on what the ICP signal is telling it) according to what the ICP is, and what the ICP needs to be, witch is the PID ICP desired. The high pressure oil controls your injectors, with a baised signal, your fueling may be off because of that, and it could very well be the surge.

On the early 03 motors the ICP is in a ******* place, and if your slick you can do it from under the truck at the rear, but the heatshield covering the ICP from rear of the truck is a mother, and when it gets reinstalled, I would recomend only putting the drivers side middle bolt back in it, as to make easy access for your next potential ICP repair. The other issue with doing the icp from the rear is you will probably have to do a custom tool to get the icp out, I took a deep socket, cut it in half, as to leave the top half with socket points, and welded a cut bolt to that, then added a relief to slide my pry bar or punch into so I can break the ICP loose with a hammer, rather then having to strain with my hand over my head, and run the risk of hand damage once I actually get it loose.

The other way would be to gank the turbo off the truck again and do it that way, choice is yours, if you where closer, I would knock it out for you real quick, but you know...

Anyways, that could be the problem, but you could also have a VGT issue, I would tackle that ICP code first, then if the problem consists, it will most likely be turbo related, I got your PM, and a tune will not fix your problem, but I would recommend it with your EGR delete. I say this because those EGR codes you have are because of your delete. I also am assuming your CEL is on because of those codes, witch in turn means your PCM may be running open loop, witch is not ideal.

So ICP first, then come back here with your results.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I hope it's ICP sensor/pigtail relayted and not an actual low HPO problem. FYI if I unplug the ICP when the engine is up to temp it runs and starts fine, cold, it won't fire off. Makes sense if it does it mostly when cold.

I would start with a new pigtail and ICP sensor. Do you have anything that can monitor ICP pressure?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
tbird,

Thank you for the information. I did not know how it was all related. I do believe it is the ICP, I do have a small oil leak from the back of the engine. I will save up my pennies and replace the ICP.... I know its not a cheap part....

Fordguy,

No I do not..... on the to-get list is an Auto-enigneuity...... I have a programmer, but all it will do is pull codes and clear them. I have thought about getting something like you have, that will do more for me.