Strange issues, tried basically everything

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Incoming fuel pressure carter 4070 always 4-5 psi, filters change religiously, injection pump r and d 90cc, stage 1 injectors, Russ built turbo, intercooled. Anyway Not seeing the boost I should wastegate Locked out, only 11-12 psi and just stops there, smells like fuel, blows blue smoke, typical timing being retarded signs but I just set timing to just about 8* today with meter(better than the 15* I set it to attempting to clear the blue smoke and fuel smell issue) but still same exact boost numbers and power seems a little better down low again but still no go. Checked return for blockage but checked out fine, and injection pump has return flow as well. Cracked each injector and all seemed to drop idle just about the same. When driving occasionally I get a random misfire while at a idle, happened again today after doing a full throttle highway run to test new timing, acts like it was starving for fuel but has constant pressure and everything is lent very old within the last 2 years and replacing stuff literally once a week at this point to attempt to fix everything but it just doesn’t seem to end I’ve replaced almost everything with as many quality parts as I can buy at this point.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not yet, but I did make 20psi with my 088 ats and this fuel set up about a year ago but usually kept it around 15 max since no studs. Changed turbo made about 16psi at first when I tried to max it out after driving it around a bit with new turbo, then it’s just been slowly dwindling down now at 11-12 psi max with fueling issues of some sort showing up it seems. When truck was cold I felt all around the exhaust connections to check for leaks and didn’t feel any. Intake side only has a little seepage of oil around intake hat area but not very much and if I wash it off it takes a while to come back. I’m assuming fueling issue due to misfiring randomly? but open to testing anything at this point. Maybe motor is getting tired I guess? But it’s only at 190k now and been maintained carefully by me since 125k

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also doesn’t start easy without cold advance on even when hot. If that means anything but I literally timed it with meter today, was at 15 trying to clear the symptoms but I turned it back to 8 and still same issues.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So because you had good results at first here's what I think is going on (if the compression test checks out). I'm not faulting Justin at all since you can set everything up correctly and have it be within spec but have an issue only after the pump has gotten some good amount of miles on it, even if you are doing everything correct. I would bet your transfer pressure is low, so you arent getting the proper advance through the curve like you should, so instead of getting up to 120 psi and 16* of advance travel youre only getting to say 90 psi and 12* of advance, I ran into this issue with the shop truck and I measured transfer pressure under load and only got to 70 psi at over 4000 rpms, granted that was a clapped out stock pump. What happens is you setup the transfer pump regulator on the stand and more than likely the transfer pump liner was reused (common practice if they arent cavitated or worn grooves) and new transfer pump blades were installed. Thats where the issue is, the new transfer pump blades are nothing like the original ones that came in our pumps, they are made overseas and much softer, but the pump liner they run across is hard as a coffin nail. So, if you reuse the hard liner that has just some small wear marks in it, it will wear out these new transfer pump blades very quick. Thats why I learned early on to just replace the liner in every pump I do regardless of how it looks just because I dont want to have to deal with issues down the road. Its about a $100 part so its not cheap like transfer pump blades. If you want, I can send you my tool for measuring transfer pressure on the truck, you will need a reliable 150 psi gauge since I wont ship my good gauges in the mail, but that would confirm if thats your issue or not. I really cant think of anything else that could be causing such issues.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m at a little less than 20k currently on pump, I talked to Justin on the phone it sounds like I have possible injector issue happening. Noticed while timing it holding at 2k I left a large patch of grass wet with diesel behind the tailpipe, first he said sounded like return was plugged but I ruled that out I can blow air down return like into tank just fine, and when running diesel some out of return from pump also. Tried cracking injectors one at a time but didn’t notice a huge difference in dropmof rpms when doing each one they all seemed to be just about the same. He said to try a stethoscope on each one to listen for a different sounding one next

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Thewespaul no I didn’t ask about transfer pressure yet phone call was precious to you mentioning that, he said after I try the stethoscope to listen for a odd ball injector to call him back if anything is found to be potentially wrong. I will mention transfer pressure possibly being the issue and see what he says about it. I’m starting to think I should be doing a compression test to see if I maybe have a weak motor or possibly low pressure cylinder. I know it’s defiantly not a full misfire now after cracking the lines because it dropped rpms and ran terrible just about equally on all cylinders or at least close enough to not notice a huge difference

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well today everything ran literally perfect with good power, 0 smoke and no raw fuel smell so idk what the deal is? Only does this sometimes just this last time seemed to go on forever. Still not high boost numbers but ran good with more power then usual. Have a video of idle today when I came out because it even had whistle at idle more than usual.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you have a more highway miles lately than usual? That will typically help compression by cleaning out the rings.

Only time I’ve ever had raw fuel coming out the exhaust was low compression.
You must be registered for see images attach

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also not too many highway miles on the truck for the most part these days it’s mainly in town but I do take 30 minutes drives now and again intentionally run it hard for a little so it doesn’t get a bunch of carbon build up and everything heats up a good amount

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt you’ve got broken pistons or rings, but if you have a valve not sealing or really worn bores you could have an incomplete burn. A valve issue would make sense for it to be intermittent, but just doing a compression test will tell you if the issue is with the engine or with the fuel system. If you have above 300 psi in all eight then it’s the fuel system.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Potentially looks like I maybe need to rebuild my heads? Which I wouldn’t really mind doing since I’ve always wanted to put a r and d cam in my truck just haven’t had a reason to tear into the motor that far yet. Guess I’ll see after compression test

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.