straight WMO in 1960's Perkins 6.354 genset 24/7

janssen

Reaction score
Hi all,

So W85 has worked awesome for me for 3-4 years now and straight WMO for my homemade waste oil furnace for 8 years.

I am now running into a problem - too much oil. I have cultivated some pretty good connections for getting my waste oil over the years but get more than I can use - have close to 9000L settling, and this is the busy collecting season, need to buy another tank.

ANYWAYS,

I was getting ready to go off grid and drop 20G's on batteries/invertors etc and use my Perkins 30KW genset (600 orig hours) to charge them when a friend of mine slapped me upside the head and asked Why bother with the batteries? Run the gennie 24/7 - your fuel is cheap enough.

Ran the numbers and would cost me $270 to run for a month - elec is $600 month so not bad.

Then I remembered someone on here was running straight WMO (I think) so here is what I was thinking.

-Run Straight WMO, preheat oil (coil in exhaust/coolant before IP) and if required put some inline heaters right in front of the injectors.
-Run water injection for coking.
-Maybe set up a dual fuel system with d2 for startup/.shutdown like the fryer guys do - used for servicing as unit runs 24/7
-def'n up the service interval

*My waste oil furnace runs straight WMO based on the premise that oil is heated to 170 before atomization with compressed air (nozzle like a paint gun)

What thinkest ye all? Doable?

Thanks John

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm. Probably doable with enough pre heating. The only thing I can recommend is make sure it's clean clean clean, but I'm sure you've figured that out through the years also. I'd like to think the CAV rotary injection pump on a Perkins is a little stronger than a Stanadyne rotary pump.

The 354 isn't a bad engine, they just like to drop liners. I've had mixed emotions with them in a few tractors. Is yours a tier 2 or tier 4 block? My old engine was a 2 and I replaced it with a turbo 4 tier after it dropped a liner.

The biggest challenges I've ran into with running oil is getting it clean enough and getting it to the injection pump. Hot summer months I'll run my farm truck at 90% oil 10% gas.

Ideally if you had a gravity tank you could set above the lift pump to the fuel heater I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

janssen

Reaction score
MY 354 is Gen 1. According to perkins they had 3 "versions" of serial numbers, using my serial they can't tell exactly when it was built - only that it was between 1960-66. I don't know about the dropped liners issue but I do know htat they had problems in the beginning with the 6.354 - it was designed as a stationary industrial motor to run pretty steady and constant. the problems I understand started when they put the motors in trucks, they didn't work well in that scenario - guess they up/down RPMs and constant loading/unloading of the engine - My read on the prob anyways.

It will be gravity fed from 2400L tank.

Cleaning - just got a belarus 5170. (For those that are not farmers the russian belarus is the tractor version of the Lada - had some teething problems, still '60s tech and different - they were developed with no input from western engineers so somethings are profoundly different. Some good some bad.)
ANYWAYS the belarus has a centrifuge oil cleaning system - no paper filters (CAT just started doing this a few years ago I think - Belarus was doing it in the 70's) The system is entirely enclosed. I am looking at finding an old one and seeing if I can adapt it to run off a elec motor and filter as required - approx 1gallon/hour on demand upstream of the IP after some preheating has occurred. Anyone tried this?

Engine is in enclosed soundproofed trailer, just working on getting the rad outsied for proper cooling - was designed to run with trailer door open. No I don't know why they soundproofed it then... Was a public works unit so common sense doesn't always apply.

John

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online