Sterling Rear Axle Swappers Guide

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there's some differences between years, cab and chassis, and maybe single rear wheel versus dually.

I want to start looking for a donor axle to clean up, install a rear disk conversion, and maybe even put a locker into. Figured I'd get a spare and keep my truck on the road until I've got me new axle all dolled up and ready to install. I did a little rooting around and I didn't find anything specific in regards to what years interchange with regards to width, spring perches, etc, but I am guessing somebody on here knows the specifics. My truck is a 1995 F350 dual rear wheel, but I figured if somebody wanted to post all the details it might help somebody else out with a different year/project.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the 1st/2nd/3rd generation ring and pinion design info. What I'm really looking for is what widths/spring perches/brake changes there were between the earliest and latest 10.25 Sterling rear axles.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.drivetrainshop.com/Ford_10_25_10_5_s/97.htm

Hows that? The sterling is elusive in Information because the off road guys aren't scrambling to know every detail about it (14b chevy)

The width changed around 2005 to accomidate a different offset wheel. I believe 05+ axles were 3" wider. Sits even with the front d60 on our rigs. Also the NEWEST sterlings got an e-locker. OX is supposed to make one very soon also.

EDIT:

One more thing. Use d70 ring gear bolts if doing an r&p swap. The d70 bolts are shouldered and won't walk out of the gear

Last edited:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Sounds like the 93-98s are the long pinion 10.25 version.

With regards to spring perches and brakes: is there any significant difference between single and dual rear wheels? I am also guessing that there's some ABS hardware, don't know what year that stuff showed up on the 10.25 axle.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That im not sure of, I'm strictly a srw guy and the usual drw axles I mess with are dana 80's or 110's. as far as spring perches are concerned, they are the same distance apart, but the 10.5's mounts are half an inch higher. So expect a small lift. I am reading r&p setup in the sterlings are a snap to install compared to dana's though.

Do you want to keep e-brakes? If so I highly recommend keeping drums. The cadillac e-brake system sucks, and the newer sterling's e-brakes like to explode. Literally. If you don't use them or keep them dry crap gets in there and works the friction material apart.

Me personally doesn't need e-brake on my centurion, so I will be scoping out a disc swap soon.

Quick googling only netted TSM manufacturing as having a kit, but the page was taken down.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not interested in the GM caliper conversion, I am looking at the E350 van brake conversion, you get to keep the parking brake and it's almost all factory hardware. Just need to figure out the DRW stuff.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look into a super duty dually axle swap. I can't find anything as simple as buying a dana 80? I think.

rustyescott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok here is some info i have from my research. 1 1993 f350 drw pick up spring perch 45" between, inside brake flange to flange 62" wms to wms 72". 1999 f250 4x4 srw pick up spring pearch to perch 46" wms to wms 69" still looking for info on 99/04 drw rear end

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I am not interested in a super duty axle swap as I want to keep my standard 8 lug bolt pattern. Just trying to see what year/configurations will bolt under a 1995 F350 dually so I can start looking for a donor axle.

Thanks again

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd expect that the brake / spring perches are pretty much all the same. I *think* that DRW & SRW brake mounts are different but not sure.

Another thing to be aware of is that I'm pretty sure the cab & chassis trucks and regular pickups have different frame widths, and thus different spring perch widths. So even within the same year/model you may not have the same axle. More likely an issue with a DRW, since most cab & chassis trucks were 350/450, but still a concern. I'd say to be safe be aware of any rig that doesn't have a standard pickup bed on it.