Sterling 10.25 threw up all over itself??

robw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
89 f250, 1 ton swapped, drove around 100~ miles since swap, and upon feeling a huge vibration at freeway speed inspected underneath when we got home, and found this.

I have a spare 10.25 sterling, can I just swap this seal out?

You must be registered for see images

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year did this axle come from? It may be the driveshaft is too long for it if it’s a second gen sterling axle. Take a look at the carrier bearing when you get a chance, and make sure the pinion nut didn’t back off.

All sterlings will interchange and bolt into place regardless of the year, but depending on which gen it is it will have a longer or shorter pinion.

robw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It actually appeared too short than too long, I had to move the carrier bearing forward to tighten the bolts.

85 f350 10.25, mounted into an 89 f250.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/72326/original/10.25inch-sf.jpg
This told me it was the pinion seal.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This tells me how to replace it.

So, per what you say, should I swap the housing from the other 10.25 when I put a new seal in?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rob sent me a text and it sounds like we got it sorted. He’s going to swap a new seal in and run it. I told him to be sure the vent was clear, usually these pinion seals only leak like that when pressure builds up in the axle.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s what mine did right before I pulled it out of gear and everything locked up for the last time on that rear end. Sorta vibrated and clunked around for about 10 miles of driving then some popping and banging around and it was done for but it still drove me home somehow . Upon inspecting it after the pinion had cut a few new teeth into my ring gear and housing and everything ruined inside, broken spider gears and all.

robw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pinion nut was completely loose! The seal wasn't even bad... pulled it, and glitter oil poured out - for frogs snacks.

Putting a new seal in, changing the oil and limping it around until we can have a shop rebuild it.

Thanks all for your input and help!

robw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the new seal, torqued the bolt to around ~125ft/lbs, since it was loose I'm just guessing, and topped off the fluid... there's no drain plug, when we are moved I will get the rear end serviced.

One more surprise tackled!

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The nut is a one time service item. It should be replaced rather than retorqued. Or, if you are cheap like me, at least smother it in threadlocker before reusing it. Folks on here have had it back off multiple times if you don't replace or lock it.

robw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cleaned the threads and threw on several drops of blue, then torqued to 125~ and pushed a bit more... hopefully not too tight, anyway. :)

Cheers all! Up and going again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01