Stella, the 6.9, needs a/c

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello friends. I would like to fix my a/c. The truck is currently set up for r12 still, a summer ago I had it charged and it was great but then the compressor took a crap. So here’s my thing.

I recently bought a 7.3 turbo engine that I plan to one day in the far away future (I’m in no rush) build and swap in. It came with a really nice serpentine belt setup, and a newer a/c compressor and power steering pump.

My current v belt brackets are stripped and missing bolts. I need a new a/c compressor anyways.

Should I swap the serpentine setup on? I’ve wanted to but I haven’t really cared to do the work yet. This kinda gives me a reason.
And what else other than the compressor is needed to swap from r12 to 134a.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
As far as the serp setup... Why not? A touch easier to mess with. And as far as swapping from r12 to 134a nothing needs swapped. Just the retrofit adapters fir the high and low side and have a shop vaccume the system down and do a thorough flush. Easy peasy. Just did the same to mi e and works outstanding

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the serp setup... Why not? A touch easier to mess with. And as far as swapping from r12 to 134a nothing needs swapped. Just the retrofit adapters fir the high and low side and have a shop vaccume the system down and do a thorough flush. Easy peasy. Just did the same to mi e and works outstanding
Well **** there we go, decision had been made. Thank you sir

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer the V belts myself, but I'd definitely swap over with the price and ""quality"" of compressors.

You're going to be pretty much bolt and go.

I think I would still change the dryer and orifice tube if it was mine, but that's not really necessary. I'm just thinking if there's anything in the orifice tube....

And I've always heard it's good practice to change the dryer if the system is opened.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer the V belts myself, but I'd definitely swap over with the price and ""quality"" of compressors.

You're going to be pretty much bolt and go.

I think I would still change the dryer and orifice tube if it was mine, but that's not really necessary. I'm just thinking if there's anything in the orifice tube....

And I've always heard it's good practice to change the dryer if the system is opened.
I think with the money I’m saving using the serpentine setup, I will go ahead and go through some of the other components and get them all fresh.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know how the old compressor failed? I'd be worried about any debris for the original system going through your new (used) compressor.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
93 was r12, 94 was r134. They used the same compressor but different thread sizes on the lines. Look at the hoses to make sure fittings are compatible with your 86 evaporator and condenser. I think 93 lines should be the right fitting.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Both of my IDIs were retrofitted by past owners. Dunno what may have been replaced. I do think the RV lines replaced at some point since one has a more modern looking Ford label wrapped on the steel line.

The F250 needs recharging (2 small cans) every 2-3 years.

The RV had almost no pressure but it recharged with 4 small cheap cans from Walmart and has been blowing cold all summer. No idea when it was last charged, could have been 20 years ago for all I know.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please replace the accumulator with one that is compatible with r134a and put in a smaller orifice tube.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you mix r134 components with r12 components, most likely you’ll have to make custom hoses to overcome the thread differences in the two. If your going to use newer r134 evaporator you’ll need the same year hose set and condenser.

Doc Niver

Reaction score
Stay with the v belts, I lost a engine due to a serpentine belt that took out upper and lower radiator hoses, trans cooler lines wiring for charging and starting and overheated in about 50 feet.
As far as the ac replace the accumulator and orifice tube and flush the system.
Make sure you have the right amount of oil in the compressor.
I got rebuilt one that said do not add oil it was prefilled.
Locked up after 3 days and had no oil when I removed it.
The next one I got I dumped and measured it and refilled it.