Steering Slop...

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
I had the front of my truck jacked up today. Upper control arms and balljoints are shot so I was looking over what needed replaced and I came across ALOT of slop in my steering. How much is too much and does anybody elses truck have this problem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uBOKHVML2I

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
After you get the lower half tight it will still have what I have always called "Bump Steer" and that comes from the joint on the steering shaft BEFORE it goes into the steering gear box. You can replace the shaft and joint with one from Dodge but it will do it again - I have been told that Borgeson units (aftermarket) don't have this problem. I know I replaced one in my old 84 ramcharger and it wasn't all that long that my "bump steer" came back. I know back then (early 90's) the borgenson was the fix adn I'm sure it still is.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Yep the only true fix is the Borgenson replacement shaft. The problem is because of the "rag joint" in the OEM shaft. The rag is flexible and allows movement in the steering wheel without creating movement in the drive wheels, and vice versa.

This is why, after driving my work truck for an extended period, when I get in my old '93 I look like a drunk driver weaving all over the road until I learn how to drive right again.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Do you guys have a diagram with part names so I can do a search for the Borgenson parts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online