Steering pump for fuge

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's a common application you guys are using for the steering pumps with no reservoir? The gear pump that came with my PA bio fuge crapped and is $200 to replace.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use one off an international scout. It has a reservoir, but I sealed the fill hole and have the pump mounted below my barrel so it is just completely full all the time.
It has been working flawlessly for years that way.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to run one of these. Do you guys think the 1725rpm 1/3hp motor will run the steering pump enough 1:1 (no pulleys, just a direct shaft coupler) to make 90psi? I see a lot of you guys are running some reduction through different sized pulleys.

You must be registered for see images

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just grab any easy to get to power steering pump off a Honda.
remote feed res.
3 groove serp belt pulley included.
lotsa mounting holes.
awesome high pressure production.
cheap to get.
done :D

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I did almost what Calvin did. I have some random honda pump with a v belt. It am just feeding it off of a 1/3 hp 1750 motor with some gear reduction in the pulleys but not much. Maybe a 1.5 to 1.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welp, went against everyone's advice [emoji51]

True test will be what happens when it's plumbed in.

You must be registered for see images

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Works great, but electric motor is getting got. Ran for about an hour last night and IR temp gun was reading 190* and climbing. Current blend is a little thick and pressure set at 90psi, hoping thinning it out a hair and running at 80psi will keep it sustained at a cooler temp.

I don't remember the motor getting hot at all with the gear pump. Do your guy's motors get hot?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Works great, but electric motor is getting got. Ran for about an hour last night and IR temp gun was reading 190* and climbing. Current blend is a little thick and pressure set at 90psi, hoping thinning it out a hair and running at 80psi will keep it sustained at a cooler temp.

I don't remember the motor getting hot at all with the gear pump. Do your guy's motors get hot?
i didn't "driect drive" mime. you might want to use some pullies to bring the motor rpms up and load down.
it'll run cooler.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Mine on the gear pump gets toasty. Didnt put a temp gauge on it, got hot enough i double checked the duty cycle tho. Running 15-40 wmo that i havnt cut with anything yet. Havnt got to mess with it a lot just yet, hope to get burning some black stuff next week or so

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run one from a ford focus. remote reservoir.. 1/2" or 5/8" shaft (cant recall). I belt drive it with a 1/3hp motor.. slightly smaller pulley on the motor.

I used some AN fittings and adapted to hydraulic hose. It'll run my 'fuge for days on end at 95psi and can EASILY blow the o-rings if you close the bypass too far. Whoops.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran mine with above direct drive setup for close to 30hrs on this first batch. 80psi with what's probably the thickest batch it will ever see. Motor was warm, about 180* but consistently stayed there.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The motor I use has thermal protection. We dropped the belt ratio because the motor kept tripping the thermal switch after a couple hours.

Now we process at 90-95psi for 48 hours straight. After 48 hours, there is typically 3/8"-1/2" of gunk in the 'fuge bowl that gets scrapped away. This has worked well for us over the last 2 years.

We go with 5 gallons of RUG in a 55gal drum and fill it to ~2-3" below the flange. Takes about 30 minutes for pressure to equalize and hold constant.

Our setup is also ran through ashcroft pressure switches. We have high and low pressure switches that basically give an operating window from 85-97psi. A switch bypasses the low pressure switch until everything is running smoothly and our pressure is set... then flip the switch and everything runs through the pressure switches.

If the relief valve ever plugs, it'll go high and shut the whole system down. If it ever springs a leak... motor over heats... throws a belt.. etc.. pressure will drop and shut it down until the low pressure bypass switch is set to restart.

It works really well and was really inexpensive to setup using used switches we found on ebay. If you search my name, you can find pictures of our complete setup and a running vid.