Steering problems after leveling kit

chuck.d

Reaction score
Hey all. So I have put on a 2in add a leaf on the front of my 86 f350 to level it out so my tires don't rub and now the steering is wack. So the steering is very responsive turning towards the drivers side and then I have to turn the wheel what seems like almost a half of a turn to steer towards the passenger side. I have looked around thinking I may need a longer track bar but I don't see any till I get into a 4 in lift. What could cause this?

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can also guarantee you need to swap out the stock pitmam arm for a drop arm. The thing about lifts of any kind, is the steering on a vehicle is designed with a certain geometry for the stock height and stuff. When that is altered, and aged or worn parts in your steering components are now going to be exaggerated. So say your tie rod ends are worn but still functioning well enough to where you don't notice it at stock height, slap some extra height up there and now they are performing at an angle that is different than the angle they were comfortable and used to because of the different geometry angles of the components... So basically you just changed the stress and wear points from where they were "broke in" at to a different spot... Probably butchered that explaination but I hope you got the gist.

chuck.d

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I was looking at it and the drag link looks off I will get a 2in drop Pittman arm.

Would the track bar need to be longer as well?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would the track bar need to be longer as well?

I can't honestly answer that. The track bar shouldn't affect your steering though, just axle travel. I'd guess the 2" lift might be ok but hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My personal preference is a little more room in the wheel wells, but I still like it! I'm a sucker for the bullnose trucks anyway lol. I'd just end up bashing a wheel into a fender somewhere, I just know it.

Looks real clean too!