standard motor product (smp) fj258 injectors any good?

babyjskustomauto

Reaction score
Hello this is my first post, I recently picked up an 88 f super duty 7.3 idi. I bought the truck cheap non running and I have been "ghosting" the forums here to keep me going and want to say thanks for all the GREAT information. Ive been inclined to take the advice of the people here with experience, as im currently kicking myself for using buna-n oring that came in my kit for my injector returns. Ordered the Viton 111 as per the forum here. From now on, I want first hand experience from a forum member here before I install any aftermarket parts into my IDI.

Which brings me to my first posts question:

I work at a parts house and have access to standard motor products (smp in the red box) fuel injectors for a very reasonable price. They are "new" injectors, there is no designation in the catalogue listing to differentiate between the different letter code injectors I have read about on here. They have one part number "fj258" listed as fitting all f and e series 82-93. I have read a few stories about people changing all their injectors only to have faulty ones and more problems than they started with. Trying to avoid this. Not afraid to buy better injectors if its a must, but if I got them through work it would save me money and give me the ability to pay them down over time. Any body use these? know if theyre reboxed from a different manufacturer? a search doesn't turn much information as the name "standard" gets too many hits, ive been sorting through but felt it necessary to ask in a new thread.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. This was just asked by a long time member too. so far I have not seen any negative or positive post about this injector or the company.

babyjskustomauto

Reaction score
maybe ill be the test mule on this one. unfortunately I got this truck not running at all, and ive got it running pretty good but have never actually seen it at 100% for any point of reference. I had it running pretty darn good, with a little bit of smoke and an intermittent surge. seeing some wetness on the injector return caps I replaced them, and now the truck runs 10x worse. gonna chock it up to inferior return line kit, have Viton 111 in the mail w some tygon f404a tube. waiting for my supplies so I can verify 100% no air intrusion. I think im still drawing at the olive inlet to the injection pump(which I have on order too). Hoping this will fix the little bit of smoking I had at idle before I opened this can of fuel return worms, if not im gonna throw a round of these smp injectors at it. wanna get it running in between though, I like to start and check for differences between every change I make so its easier to narrow stuff down...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome,

Go to a box, pull an injector and inspect the large wrench flats, there is likely a letter code stamped in on the flat. Take a pic and post it so we can see..

If the price is cheap you can be assured your quality won't be high regardless of staff discounts etc.

Cheap now may be costly later, it happens that way from time to time.

Good luck with your choice..

Mel or Agnem here...at Conestoga diesel sells a quality product and so does Russ here AKA Typ4.

Al

babyjskustomauto

Reaction score
some additional info for anyone interested:

I put a phone call in to standard headquarters. They don't outsource, they manufacture these injectors themselves. He couldn't tell me where, but I sell a lot of standard products though the shop here and most seem to come from china or Indonesia (big surprise.) or less frequently mexico or india. some of the old dusty boxes have made in usa parts still, but that's far and few between and you can bet they've been hanging around for a bit.

he also could not provide any insight as toward the different injector codes etc. they list the fj258 as fitting all NA 6.9 and 7.3 idi. I asked how they would obtain the specifications, he informed me they would obtain an OE one and copy its characteristics. You will run into things in the real world that standard doesn't acknowledge in their catalogue or realize in the aftermarket yet working on regular passenger cars and trucks all the time, so I definitely don't give them the benefit of the doubt as far as a diesel that borderlines medium duty goes.

babyjskustomauto

Reaction score
I may still bring one into the store physically to take a look at it, see if it has codes stamped etc, but it would probably be for curiosities sake at this point as im pretty sure I don't want to put these in my motor, especially as I just fought all the champion GPs out of there to switch to beru. Im new to IDI, but I have sense enough to take advice when it seems relevant and have experience in other fields enough to know to trust someone who knows from first hand experience.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Standard Products Co. makes a whole variety of products, as the guy you talked too said, that's what they do. It's an old old company, in 1942 I worked in one of there Companies in Marine City MI making Periscopes for tanks after school. WWII was going on then.

Last edited: