spray gun break down for retards like myself

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, its been one of those sleepless nights.
not really a good time to research.
im more confused than i was without knowing a damn thing.

can someone break down different types of spray guns and there intended use.
remember, a member is asking that cant even spell his screen name right.

thanks!

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, lots of stuff here. Any particular questions? I'll stat this I think a good paint gun leads to more consistent results, but isn't necessary for good results. Like any tool there are good value guns out there. You looking to buy a new gun? What kind of price point?

Gravity Feed - Cup on top. These are pretty much the new style gun everyone uses now. Lots of choices here. You will want to look at tip size. 1.3 & 1.4 are good tip sizes for color and clear coat. 1.8-2.2 are good primer sizes. Your material tech sheet should spec a tip size it requests. These can spray 100% of the material. My guns are Gravity feed.

Siphon gun - cup on bottom These are older technology. Still can work very well. Here again watch for tip sizes. Biggest draw back on these in my opinon is there is always part of the material that's wasted. It can't physically consume all the material. I don't use siphon guns for anything.

Tip sizes. Most material data sheets will have a recommended tip size range. I normally use 1.3 for base coat and clear. 1.8 for primers.

Air pressure. - Us the pressure stated by the gun manufacturer. Higher pressure equals better atomization. Lower pressure equals more material. Sometimes a slightly lower pressure helps clear coat and primer flow out better. Normally my guns are set at the max pressure recommended by the gun manufacturer. also regarding pressure I use a Pinch regulator on the base of my guns to get to the final gun pressure (25ish psi). I regulate at the wall to like 70 PSI. This ensures good flow and pressure to the gun, but I don't see pressure spikes associated with the compressor turning on or off. Also on one gun when I run higher pressure I get a harder initial trigger pull. The pinch regulators aren't a true regulator, but widely used on paint guns.

Top Coat gun - I have a Devilibliss Tekna Copper. It works great. Very nice gun. It's in the 300-400 range. Comes with a cup and digital regulator. Next topcoat gun i would get is a Sagola 4500. Guys really like them They also have no gaskets in them

Primer gun - I have a finishline 3 gun. It's a 100-150 dollar gun. Now they have a finish line 4. I like a dedicated primer gun so I don't get any primer chunks in my top coat. Primer can be ******* guns. It also doesn't need the finish like a topcoat as it's normally sanded.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should add that normally by the time you buy a different tip set for a higher end gun you might as well buy a dedicated primer gun.

Concern I have with most cheaper guns is just ease of cleaning and tip sizes. Sometimes the tip sizes aren't labeled. Parts availability is also a concern, but I normally don't need replacement parts. I don't shoot enough.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have 2 guns. one i call the pos.... was a freebie.
and the other i think i spent 200 on.
it is a finishline, is this the 4 youre talking about?
im not opposed to buying a new gun, even spending inbetween the 4-600 dollar range.
i will be doing paint alot in the future.

right now im only spraying primer and acrylic enamel.
single stage stuff.
i turn the reg at the compressors to 80 and usually 35 on the gun.
never really looked at the specs of my guns, i guess thats a good place to start seeing that tip size is important.

You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm absolutely no expert here and just dabbling but when I bought my truck I bought a set of Devibiss Starting line guns. Tip sets are reasonable (like $25-30 I think). Gaskets are reasonable but I've only screwed up once and ruined a gasket. Mine came with a detail gun that has been extremely handy for painting odds and ends. I have shot enamel and epoxy primer so far with my guns and it works as good as I do. Take that for what it's worth. I will be investing in the Dekup system before I start on the real paint job I think.

A tip on cleaning that I have found REALLY helpful. Get yourself a couple of these and put cleaning thinner in them.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=30919

It cut way down on the amount of solvent I was using and I can break my gun down and clean and reassemble it about 10 minutes taking my time. Really handy just to have them around for other things like WD and the like. We use them in the lab all the time. One tip though. Don't fill it full and don't put the lid on really tight. If you put the lid on real tight it will piddle out the spout because as the solvent evaporates, it builds up pressure and like a beer keg it pushes it right out the top. When you are done, pour the solvent back in the can or leave it in the bottle. It takes it a good while to evaporate from the bottle.

Bottle holds about 500 ml. Takes me about half a bottle to clean the gun normally. I clean it all up and dump the rest in and spray it through at the end.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got the dekups system already! Nice! I do like the dekups system for easier cleanup. They also work good for upside down shooting. I have had to let a little air back in though towards the end of material because it wouldn't spray. it's like the collapsible liner is too stiff at the end to allow full material usage.

Yes that is the Finishline 4 gun. They are a good gun. I would be very tempted to paint with that gun vs buying a new one. Now if you want a new gun then absolutely get a new gun. you don't need to drop 1,000 to get a good gun.

The Gun body or fluid cap should have a pressure rating on it. I'm not sure what tips it came with the FLG4, but if it has a 1.3 and 1.8 you'd be set.

Only concern with gaskets I have is if you don't have spares and loose or wreck one. Then your sunk. Reminds me I should get some extras.

I pull my gun apart evertime and clean it. Then I wipe all the parts down and assemble it basically dry. I don't run thinner through at the end as I don't want any sitting in the gun. I'm thinking I heard it can dry out the gaskets. I use a ketchup bottle to shoot thinner in it. Biggest use of thinner for cleaning is the cup if your not using dekups.

Autobody forum I frequent is Autobodystore.net or .com. Think both work. They have lots of good classroom type stuff and guys that help. He also has a store. I buy my guns from him cause of the support and his prices are right.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adjust the air pressure at the gun with the trigger pulled. I don't think it matters if material is flowing or gun is empty.