Speedo /Odometer gone Tranny in limp mode

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
So I lost my speedo & odometer, the overdrive button is flashing.The Transmission in limp mode.I have checked all the fuses , going to change out the VSS on diff. Do our trucks have a out put transmission speed sensor? I bought a after market VSS but does not seem to fit right,going to Ford next.What should I check aside from wire shorts to VSS ? What is the most common fix for these issues.Thanks.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
For your year the only vss is in the rear end.
Is your interior dome light working?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you notice there are 2 fuses for the speedo? ones for memory.does the odo show the numbers? everything seems to work but just the speedo doesn't move at all?
try tapping the dash and see if it makes it work a little.if so,it could be bad solder joints on the psom.

http://www.harleyhummerclub.org/PSOM/index.html

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
The odometer shows nothing,speedo does'nt move.I bought a VSS from ford today, - 8 deg outside and dark when I get home ,but hope to try this real soon.Also notice there is a power control module relay, could it be a relay ? If not I shall look for PSOM,not very good with electrical,repairing it I dont think is an option for me .

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the vss isn't your issue.your psom isn't getting power.the vss doesn't supply power to it,just a signal to read to make the needle move and send to the trans control unit.

you skipped my question about the 2 fuses.;)

far out.i even found ya a video to make it easy peasy Christmas squeezy.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
OK I double checked and replaced fuses, and replace them just in case,also installed new VSS still nothing good to report. No Odometer/ Speedo OD starts flashing OFF after first gear shift.Great videos by the way,thanks for you help. I suppose the next step is replace the PSOM?

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
if theres power going to it but it's still not displaying anything,that's where id head next.

yeah,the trans will be lost without the vehicle speed info.

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
I have not check wiring to VSS may have broken or short there ? Or the tone ring in the Diff? I change the bulbs in my gauge cluster once, maybe my PSOM could be repaired ?

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
Phone about 10 wreckers today , no one has a gauge cluster/ PSOM for my Truck.Lots of gas trucks, they tell me I can only use one out of the Diesel IDI 7.3 ? Ford has discontinued, keep looking i guess.Good thing it's not my only means of transportation.

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
That is great news,they all seem to say it needed to be a Diesel unit to communicate properly.I think i shall inspected all my wiring,grounds,clean up all plugs before pulling the cluster.I wish i could be sure this is my problem, the VSS was not. Thanks for all your help,I like the idea of having mine repaired,at least you know its going to work, your gambling with a wrecker unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online