>>> SOUND DEADENING MATERIAL <<<

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some years ago, a member posted about finding and using a product from LOWES or HOME DEPOT, a roofing product if I recall, that was identical to the drastically expensive DYNAMAT, at about 1/10 the cost.

I have searched for that thread to no avail.

What other much less expensive solutions have others used ??

Thanks. :)

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got something like that at Home depot a few years ago, I think it was in the insulatiuon section. It was about 3/16" thick with a foil side and an adhesive side.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I used something called Fat Mat... Darrin Tosh was installing it and liked it. Its way cheaper than dynamat too. Foil on one side and sticky black stuff on the other. I did my complete crewcab insides and doors twice. Or I used two layers of it. I could not get the headliner down so I did not do the roof. But the truck sure is quiet now. Really easy to install too

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
It sticks to everything. LOL Clean the loose stuff off the areas to be applied and lay it down. I did 2 layers on the floor and it made a pretty big difference in noise. Home depot used to carry a similar item, but I don't know if they still do.

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the peel and seal on the doors when I had the panels off installing speakers. It was sticky enough but it was also probably 100 degrees outside here in Texas when I put it on. A hair dryer wouldn't hurt the application. I priced it at lowes and then found it at our local Fix and Feed for much cheaper. I'll look up the price and let you know what I paid. Some had me worried about it running in the Texas heat and oozing out or making a mess of the window motors locks etc.. I have had it in my truck for 2 summers now and haven't experienced a problem. Last summer was one of the hottest on record here so I don't think I'll ever have any trouble from it.

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MR -

This is what I used on the doors and roof of my Chevy dually:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_28929-1410-...King Foam Duct Insulation&CAWELAID=1049147108

It's a foam-backed insulation that's 12" wide and about 1/8" thick. The foam has adhesive applied, so all I had to do was cut it into strips and line the doors and roof with it. Simple to use and it really quieted things down! I've got two rolls to use on my Ford. m This time, I'll use it on the doors, roof, floor and back of cab. It's gonna be nice!

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I've also heard of the thermo king (frost king) duct insulation being used.

Planned on using it in my truck infact...

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.lobucrod.com/

i put two layers of this just about everywhere in the cab.all but under the headliner now i guess.it really helped a lot.

i dunno how this compares to other stuff:

Q: What are the sound deadening properties of the insulation?

A: Low-E has had this product tested for noise reduction using the ASTM E90-90 method. At 125 HZ the noise reduction is 23 DB. At 400 HZ the reduction is 42 DB.

Attachments

• banks turbo.jpg
    banks turbo.jpg
    733.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

i put two layers of this just about everywhere in the cab.all but under the headliner now i guess.it really helped a lot.

i dunno how this compares to other stuff:

Q: What are the sound deadening properties of the insulation?

A: Low-E has had this product tested for noise reduction using the ASTM E90-90 method. At 125 HZ the noise reduction is 23 DB. At 400 HZ the reduction is 42 DB.

That is some great stuff . Been using it for years. Especially good for places like evaporator boxes to blocking radiant heat from the engine from ruining your AC performance. Works great in headliners too for blocking out heat

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have been meaning to get that stuff ever since you posted it in an A/C discussion.

Like RSDSL says, it would also be great above a head-liner.

I am a bit afraid to be messing with my head-liner, though, as it is still tight as a drum; very rare for a vehicle as old as mine.

Thanks.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did the math and E-Z-COOL is the best buy.

Dynamat from Amazon with FREE shipping = $4.50/square-foot

Peel & Seal store pick-up at LOWEs = $1.32/square-foot

Frost King foam duct insulation store pick-up at LOWEs = $1.26/square-foot

E-Z-COOL 4 x 10 $33.50 plus $8.50 S&H costs $1.05/square-foot

There are places where the Peal and Seal would be the better choice; but, all and all, that E-Z-COOL stuff is probably best all around.

Thanks, everyone, for the input and the links to the LOWE's products. :)

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Here is what i have found out over the years. For canceling out frequencies the best way to go about this is to add mass to a panel. Thats where the Dynomat, PEel n Seal, Glace ice n snow guard (same as peel n seal), etc work awsome. Especially helpful for the inside of doors, roof skin, back of the cab, etc...It doesnt really help much for the floor because its pretty stiff on its own.

In my comet im gunna lay down two layers of peel n seal and use that insulation suggested above to control both road noise and keep the heat out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88