Solid Flywheel Differences?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Ok, so I her up this morning to order my solid flywheel kit from rock auto. Went through the parts fiche selecting Ford, 1990, F-350, 7.3L and noticed that the Luk kit I was looking at specifies "aftermarket turbo". The Valeo kit right underneath it says "turbo/non-turbo, 8th digit of VIN, M".

Well, my 8th VIN digit is indeed M, I've searched and read that the turbo and non turbo flywheels are balanced differently and should not be interchanged. I can't see any differences between the 2 flywheels in the pictures, no extra holes drilled in either one, but pictures don't show the other side where weights could be (and parts places pics can't be trusted anyway).

Is there really and differences in these kits? Luk part #07225 and Valeo part #53052006

If I get the Luk kit, am I going to end up with an out of balance diesel just waiting to shake itself apart?

Luk's website is useless, doesn't even acknowledge that male single mass flywheels.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
South Bend Clutch is a member here, and I believe he made a post to clarify this......

his userid is:

south bend clutch

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would bet that rock auto is using a stock picture for both clutch sets.,,

The only difference is a little bit of balancing on the flywheel. It might not even be noticeable.

One of these days I am going to get a hold of a factory turbo flexplate or flywheel and have a good look and a good thread on the differences.

I would say order the one that matches your vin as long as you know you don't have a factory idit engine.

Also, you should only be able to order the idit flywheel if you have a 93/94 selected.
One way of knowing is looking at the block number on top next to the IP.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 1990 is not going to be a factory turbo, so it would use a flywheel for an aftermarket turbo (stock n/a).

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably worded that way to let you know it is designed for the additional hp.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
That's exactly what I'm hoping, that it's just balanced for a N/A engine (definitely don't have a turbo'd IDI), but that Luk advertises them as being able to deal with the extra power/internal boosted forces.

Autozone also has a kit with the flywheel and clutch set for the same price as the Luk. I have abused their clutches a lot and they hold. I can get a discount at the store I worked at, but the description on it is a vague as always.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am running the autozone clutch. Pretty sure it is a LUK in a AZ box. Think it even had paperwork from LUK in it.

I bought on line and used a 20 percent off coupon.

So far, it has held well, but it will be replaced when the engine comes out because it has always had a shudder upon take off like it has an uneven surface.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Autozone clutch set part numbers with solid flywheel included (I cross referenced with the different years to see if different part numbers showed up).

1990 F350 engine code M - NU31411LFW

1993 F350 engine code C - NU31411LFW2

1994 F350 engine code F - NU31410VFW

1994 F350 engine code K - NU31411LFW2

From these numbers that I have found, the LFW2 suffix is for the IDIT engines, the LFW is for the non-turbo IDI, and the VFW would be for the powerstroke. So now I'm leaning towards just picking one (NU31411LFW) up at the store I used to work at later this week. I'd rather have the Luk, but with the confusion over the description from Rock Auto, the fact that I'd have to pay shipping and that I can get 10% of the Duralast kit, I think I'm going to have to go with the one from Autozone. I hope to get the South Bend 13" kit if I ever get to swap this IDI into the fiance's Bronco.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I am running the autozone clutch. Pretty sure it is a LUK in a AZ box. Think it even had paperwork from LUK in it.

I bought on line and used a 20 percent off coupon.

So far, it has held well, but it will be replaced when the engine comes out because it has always had a shudder upon take off like it has an uneven surface.

The Duralast brand is just rebranded from reputable companies. Mechanic parts are usually pretty good and I don't doubt that it's a Luk in a Duralast box.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Valeo, Napa AZ and some others are LUK parts. Both of the original vague first post descriptions are the same clutch.

The pressure plates are the same on all the kits, I had a very good friction house clarify this 3 yrs ago. Flywheel is the same for all IDI"s EXCEPT factory turbo, it is balanced different.

So if you have a build with turbo crank and rods/pistons you need the turbo flywheel. But if going this far, getting the engine assy balanced is the only way to go.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I would bet that rock auto is using a stock picture for both clutch sets.,,

The only difference is a little bit of balancing on the flywheel. It might not even be noticeable.

One of these days I am going to get a hold of a factory turbo flexplate or flywheel and have a good look and a good thread on the differences.

I would say order the one that matches your vin as long as you know you don't have a factory idit engine.

Also, you should only be able to order the idit flywheel if you have a 93/94 selected.
One way of knowing is looking at the block number on top next to the IP.

I can tell you from personal experience, it is VERY noticeable. Thanks to that little mishap, I got to check "install ZF twice in one week" off of my bucket list. :puke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online