So what did you do with your truck today?

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a crazy idea but gonna sleep on it, involving drilling a parallel hole though the head. And obviously what I said above is because the heads are cast iron but I was just surprised how powdery and brittle they were.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I went to start my f250 and I wasn't surprised that the batteries were dead since they are old and living on borrowed time. I fired up my IH to jump it, and that didn't work for some reason, so I took the batteries out of the IH and put them in for now since I was in a rush. The IH has threaded terminals so I just had it clamped on sort of. I don't think it was making good enough connections because it still wouldn't turn over. So I figured I will just charge the batteries that were in the f250. I put the batteries back in the IH, and went to start it up and move it, and then that truck wouldn't start. AT THIS POINT I WAS PAST THROWING TOOLS, SO I STARTED THROWING FITS! lol.
Then the the ignition switch was sticking real bad on the IH, so I took it out and soaked it down. To top everything off, I was really looking forward to going to pick up some body parts along with a lighted lund visor that had me so excited, and I confirmed with the guy, but he then told me he sold it. -cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cussThis was one of those days for sure.

Rock

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to start my f250 and I wasn't surprised that the batteries were dead since they are old and living on borrowed time. I fired up my IH to jump it, and that didn't work for some reason, so I took the batteries out of the IH and put them in for now since I was in a rush. The IH has threaded terminals so I just had it clamped on sort of. I don't think it was making good enough connections because it still wouldn't turn over. So I figured I will just charge the batteries that were in the f250. I put the batteries back in the IH, and went to start it up and move it, and then that truck wouldn't start. AT THIS POINT I WAS PAST THROWING TOOLS, SO I STARTED THROWING FITS! lol.
Then the the ignition switch was sticking real bad on the IH, so I took it out and soaked it down. To top everything off, I was really looking forward to going to pick up some body parts along with a lighted lund visor that had me so excited, and I confirmed with the guy, but he then told me he sold it. -cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cussThis was one of those days for sure.

Rock
You need some serious booster cables to get a dead pair of IDI batteries to start. Takes time, usually 10-15 mins if you're working with dead batts.
A fun trick is to hook up two sets of good cables in parallel. The positives on the IH to the positives on the Ford and then grounds on the IH batts to the chassis on the Ford. This will boost it much much faster, and with good cables you may be able to start it in one shot depending on weather and other factors.

Hope your day goes better over there!

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
You need some serious booster cables to get a dead pair of IDI batteries to start. Takes time, usually 10-15 mins if you're working with dead batts.
A fun trick is to hook up two sets of good cables in parallel. The positives on the IH to the positives on the Ford and then grounds on the IH batts to the chassis on the Ford. This will boost it much much faster, and with good cables you may be able to start it in one shot depending on weather and other factors.

Hope your day goes better over there!
Thank you, I appreciate that.
I did have two cables on it. One was a good set, and the other was just regular car cables. I had it grounded around the ground strap on the IH. I am hoping it was just that i was inpatient, but it didn't want to turn over at all after 10 minutes with the IH on high idle. I was in a rush, so i had to move on, but will investigate further tomorrow.

Rock

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a fun day.
Ambo motor is getting turboed.
When it was NA it had the two rear exhaust studs snapped off in its hot rear cylinder.
Going turbo don't want leaks.

Drilled out bolt 1 - ez out snaps off in bolt
Drilled out bolt 2 larger - larger easy out snaps off in bolt

Now since ez outs are harder than mild steel had to buy new masonry bits.

Figure I'll drill out just the rear bolt and set that one up to clamp down and skip the bolt in between.

Drill it out to 1/2..notice the head is very brittle and powdery.

Don't want to go larger for m14 insert I have.

Decide to weld a 3/8 stud into the hole.
Head crumbles to dust once I smack the rod with a hammer to get it straight.

More to come..
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That gold is cool

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a nice bumper from the junkyard for 30 bucks, then I was able to bend my fender back with a ratchet strap attached to a stop sign. Looks like it never happened. Insurance came back and declared me not at fault at all so that is pretty cool.

stick_witch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gp solenoid started clicking on the truck yesterday evening (bad day for AK idi owner). Good thing the truck was warm and I had a nice warm shop to pull it into at home. Pulled it into the shop and preceded to take apart and put back together the entire glow plug system quite a few times to deduce what was going wrong. At first I thought one of the gp’s was burnt up making the controller go nuts, so i put all 8 spares in, no change. Then I said f*** it and bypassed the controller, wiring a spring loaded switch under my arm rest on the center console of the cab... (needed to do it a long time ago anyway)

(Take note here that the solenoid appears to look just fine and that it was clicking so by the sounds of it it was working just fine... adding to my confusion...)

(Neat old, big, metal switch i found that has both a spring loaded toggle and a locking toggle. Perfect!)

Still no gp draw... then I preceded to rip the gp harness out, connectors were rotted and one was completely split, so I cut all the ends off and replaced them with a normal 12-14 gauge female bullet terminal and some heat shrink.

Threw the wiring harness back in and still no gp draw... so at this point it was like 3 in the morning (oops...) so, completely defeated, i went to bed. Woke up this morning and decided to rip the controller out this time, and right off the bat after taking it out i discovered the hot post was broken inside the solenoid...

bruhhh... went to the parts store and picked up a solenoid, came home and wired it all back up and tadaaa! Should have known, but hey, now I have a fresh new, bypassed gp system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drove the CC DRW on snow and ice for the first time ... we put on quite the (impromptu) show!
Glad to get home with all of my fenders.

wrecked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea snow can be fun but it dose not really phase the f250s 35s with weight in the bed, then again have not tryed to hard. The bmw on the other is playful to begin with and last season on snow tires was more like you described.

:cheers:

I have them for sale but no one is bitting.

:(

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/wto/d/florissant-snow-tires/7273651367.html
You might recognize this:

'92 Passat G60 Syncro wagon. My other baby. But I'm finding the performance edge on this truck to be exactly as you describe. Weight on the back, tire pressures and thoughtful use of gears equals very stable and capable machine.

I'll never let go of this car.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I guess it was just a terrible coincidence yesterday, because I charged up all 4 batteries and both trucks fired right up! I am going to be getting a new set from napa for the f250 this week. The batteries in the IH are only a year old and hold their charge well.
I am just glad it was only the batteries, but it was just weird how neither truck started on a good set. Either way, everything is good now so I'm happy:Thumbs Up.

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I drove the CC DRW on snow and ice for the first time ... we put on quite the (impromptu) show!
Glad to get home with all of my fenders.
Heck. In Texas, with snow and ice on the road, you were lucky to get home at all. When I made my trip to San Antonio a few weeks back, I kept hearing about snow possibly coming in on Saturday. I delivered the spiral staircase on Friday evening, and I hurried back north pretty quickly just to get away from all of the Texas drivers in case it did snow.

rhythim

Reaction score
Just went out to the '85 that's been sitting in sub-20 degree cold since yesterday (the South actually getting about a week's worth of winter this year) without the block heater having been plugged in. Cycled the GPs a couple times, set the fast idle, turned the key. 16 degrees testing the will of a 36 year old 6.9, but she did indeed rattle to life, coughing and smoking for a few seconds then smoothing out and idling pretty as you please.

This truck's going to outlive me.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

rhythim

Reaction score
Not without it's issues, but it's a decent little tractor. Just needs a bit of work.

I was very tempted to pick up another one I saw down in PA on Facebook marketplace but.... I don't really want to sleep in the garage in this weather and the wife would not be very happy with me :angel:

I finally let go of my '48 Cub last summer. Had been in the family for 30+ years, but I just didn't do anything with it besides look at it and change the fluids every now and then. My dad restored it back in the early '90s. I mowed my 5 acres with it a few times before I bought my big zero turn, but at just over an acre an hour it wasn't what I called a good time.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk