smoking knocking

jocephus

Reaction score
hey guys and gals ive got a buddy with a problem he has a 05 sd with 115k on clock all stock it has just started knocking in the top of engine on the pass side and white smoking bad. i can say he more than likely has egr problems but what would cause the knock it only does it when up to opperating temps. would a cracked head cause this? im going out to do some diagnostics on it tonight any help would be appreciated, like where to start.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
A bad injector could do that. So could a bent rod. Is the truck loosing antifreeze? could be a blown egr cooler. If that is it and it has been ignored it could be the beginning of cascading 6.0 failure (and that is worse than it sounds). If your not loosing any coolant or gaining any oil it could be as simple as a bad injector or FICM. These can be tested prety easily by ford. I have them run mine whe it starts doing something stupid and even with paying them to run diagnostics it still saves me a lot of money lost to guessing.
Ken

pfarmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine blew white smoke when I blew a head gasket (at 225,000 miles). I pulled it over and let it cool all the way down.. got it home and managed to not do any damage to the heads. What does his temperature gauge read when this is happening? I did not blow white smoke when I lost injectors (which happened two different times) or when I had EGR cooler and oil cooler problems. I've did the EGR valve 5 times (before I deleted it) and my ONLY white smoke was the head gasket. Throw it on a computer.. see what it says.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be a split injector tip. Sounds like he should get that looked at ASAP and avoid driving it that way to prevent further damage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online