Smoke's under load

wp454

Reaction score
Hi I have a 96 1 ton. The truck runs good but when I am towing and hit hills or when the engine has to work. The truck blows black smoke out of it bad. I had a new pump on it but I was talked into trying to run bio diesel thru it and it stopped running. It messed everything up. I cleaned out fuel tank, lines, fuel filter, installed new injectors. I have put my old injector pump in the truck that had about 190k on it. and now the smoking problem started. Any ideas before I buy a new pump?

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bio messed up your pump? what exactly did the bio do to the pump?

honestly it sounds like the boost relay has gone south, when they go bad alot of times they will still work but then have moments when they stop working. have a look at that.
bad/weak wastegate actuator?
boost leak?
low boost/ bad turbo?

if its smoking that means its getting fuel so i dont see it being a pump problem unless the timming was out or something like that.
i would bet that your problem is on the air side not fuel...

wp454

Reaction score
Thanks I will look into the air first. I was given some used veg oil and I filtered it. I was using the diesel secret additive. It put a milky **** in the tank and in the pump. I took it the top cover off and tried to clean it. but was unable to.

haztech1

Reaction score
Lots of people think that diesel secret is biodiesel it is far from it. It is just watered down veg oil with additives. It can do really bad things to fuel systems in a very short time under the right conditions.

True biodiesel is a chemical reaction called transesterfication (vegetable oils and an alcohol with a catalyst). It has its own issues but will not damage the fuel system if you know what you can do and what you cannot do. Check out the National Biodiesel Board website. They shoot you straight on biodiesel.

http://www.biodiesel.org/

DRTruck

Reaction score
I have a 1994 K3500 6.5 diesel and I was told by the dealer and other people also that the electronic module that is connected to the injector pump or the injector pump itself can cause the same symptoms of black smoke and loss of power. I'm not sure how hard it is to replace the electronic module that connects to the injector pump, but I do know mine was changed before I bought my truck a week ago and it is mounted on a flat heatsink peice of metal on the intake manifold because they didn't want to have to tear the old one off. I guess the injector pump and electronic module that might be called the PMC cost about $3000.00 to replace by the Chevy dealers. I also heard they make a electronics kit to replace the electronic module to the top of the manifold for easy replacement. It might be called a PMC kit from what I'm told. I don't know if the electronic module or PMC can be replaced without adjusting anything else or not. Good Luck!!!

DRTruck

Reaction score
I appreciate your input and I have replaced the PMD a couple of times already and that fixes my truck from surging in reverse occasionally, but still has the service engine soon dash light coming on once it warms up good, and then runs about 2/3 power!!! Truck only has 78,000 miles on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Staff online