small diesel question.Jeep related

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Got a sick buddy(mentally.....even worst than me!) that wants to drop a diesel in a CJ5.What will actually fit and be an easy install(AKA,NO COMPUTERS!).He prefers an American made.....Older is better.Trans not a priority other than Overdrive(also,he wants to dump the transfer case and make it 2WD by gutting the front axle....).Any suggestions?Power also not important.Just enough to be functional.Main thing he said is he wants lot and lots of MPG.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The US only stipulation for passenger diesels is killing you/your friend.
we are way behind in the engineering and manufacturing in this area especially on the high MPG requirement.
Here's an alternative suggestion if he is willing to broaden his parameters....
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/534416555.html
and a pic from that page....

Attachments

• yota diesel1.jpg
    yota diesel1.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 85

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Thanks.I will forward the vote.I was also thinking of looking into a Hurcules 3.7L and see if that might fit his jeep.Ford used them in delivery trucks.I think the cabover.Herc is the same folks that made the multifuels in the deuce(along with several other exact copies).If it were mine I would find a rusted out rabbit and just stick the whole assembly in it.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
another vote for the 4bt if you can afford it, you are usually talking 1-2G for just the engine plus all the adapters and such. they are rare but Jeep put a 4 cyl pirkins in there CJ-5's for a few years back in the lat 60's ealy 70's IIRC. i cant find the link anymore on that one. the early VW diesels were fairly gutless unless they had a a turbo. if i can get off my but and stop getting sucked into other things i want to drop the 6.9 in my CJ-7.

i am all for the diesel swap but castraiting the 4 wheel drive, what the heck is that all about?

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Don't ask me.Personally,If it was my truck(and other than collecting Kudzu) if I was going to 2WD a jeep I would buy an old Postal jeep(DJ5) with a rotten body and drop a CJ body on it.Instant 2WD.Have to figure out how to move all the junk to the otherside.

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
another vote for the 4bt if you can afford it, you are usually talking 1-2G for just the engine plus all the adapters and such. they are rare but Jeep put a 4 cyl pirkins in there CJ-5's for a few years back in the lat 60's ealy 70's IIRC. i cant find the link anymore on that one. the early VW diesels were fairly gutless unless they had a a turbo. if i can get off my but and stop getting sucked into other things i want to drop the 6.9 in my CJ-7.

i am all for the diesel swap but castraiting the 4 wheel drive, what the heck is that all about?

Dunno about the CJ's, but they had a Perkins diesel available for the early/mid '80's Cherokee that was an absolute MUTT in the power dept..

Dodge used a Perkins diesel in the Power Wagons before the Cummins in 1990(?)

IHWillys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your sick buddy and I think alike. I'm currently building a 2WD '68 CJ5 with a Hercules 3.7. This one came out of an '83 Ford stepvan. It has a close ratio T19 behind it. I'm going to use that and keep an eye out for a M5R2. The Herc in current form will bolt to any trans setup for SB Ford.

I imagine mpg will be in 30s.

The short of this project:
White-Hercules 3.7TD, T19, Ford 9" rear, tube converted '98 Dodge D44 front, GM hydroboost, GM tilt column, Saginaw PS.

I'm not lowering it. The way I use the Jeep I need clearance but not really 4x4. I also don't need interstate capability so OD is not a necessity.

I'd suggest starting with a '72 or later CJ5. They should be perfect for swapping in a Herc/Cummins/similar. The '68 is a bit too short between grill and firewall so the firewall is going back 3". This just happens to be the amount AMC added in 1972 model year, IIRC.

I'm retubing the Dodge Dana 44 because it will hold the weight, I got it cheap, and it provides easy to get disc brake parts. The retube will result in the front track the same as the rear, and the pattern on both it and the 9" is 5 on 5.5.

Ken

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your sick buddy and I think alike.
I imagine mpg will be in 30s.

The short of this project:
White-Hercules 3.7TD, T19, Ford 9" rear, .

not really 4x4. I also don't need interstate capability so OD is not a necessity.

too short between grill and firewall so the firewall is going back 3". This just happens to be the amount AMC added in 1972 model year, IIRC.

I'm retubing the Dodge Dana 44 because it will hold the weight, the pattern on both it and the 9" is 5 on 5.5.
Ken
And I as well - with a '70 F. Bronco (the lill' guy) but have not found the hercules. Would like a ZF behind it, deepen the transfer gears - for an on/off road vehicle. Do you know tq numbers?, deminsions and weight?, non-computer controlled, line pump so I can "turn it up"? other make/model doners?
Thanks alot,
chad
(4BT too big)

rudolf

Reaction score
I too, have a cj5 and want to turn it from a 360 AMC monster, to a diesel. I would like to retain the 4x4 system. I'm currently checking out a sd33 NA, mounted to a t-19. I know the sd33t is the favored of the two sd33's. I just happen to have the NA one available cheap and its got 88k miles, comes in a waggy. I'm looking to make a dd, for short trips around the house. Staying on roads that are posted 45mph or less, with the once and awhile road trip on a 55 mph two lane road.
I forgot about the Hercules. did they have turbo's in stock form?

rudolf

Reaction score
I have also heard of the Hercules being swapped into M-715's with some good results. Is the 4 cylinder Herculies made in more than one displacement?
From what I have heard that would be the engine that your buddy would be happy with. I would try to talk him into keeping the four wheel drive. I am thinking that the short wheelbase and only having rear wheel drive with that light of a vehicle might make things tricky in wet or inclement weather.

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4TB IS the only currently made (I know of). It is in loader/hoes or w/2 more cyl. dodge trucks. 1,000lbs I think.
An older *** (Issuzu - can't spell, Nissan, like the SD33's above) were in Luv, chevette, PUP, corrier etc. 30 - 36 MPG - 80 hp? unsure of TQ, about 2.2 to 3.3 Lt, 450 - 650lbs.

Mazda diesel

Reaction score
I'm crazy too.
I've got a Jeep Comanche that's getting a Nissan LD28 2.8 liter inline 6 cylinder.
Also have a 87' Mazda B2600 w/ a Mitsubishi DT65 2.3 liter turbo diesel (you could try to find one of them they were in the mitsubishi Mighty max, Dodge D50 and some of the Ford rangers
Either of those engines should work

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Humm, thought I started this thread, guess not.

Still have my pts tho. 1) in this area everything over 5 or 10 yr. ol goes to the crusher, 2) not sure on where to look up a) "sizes" (where to find dimensions so I can check fitment w/my engine bay) & b) power to weight ratios (what output I need for my application - I'm from the gasser world). The bronk must weight close to 2T. Just wanna get past the hump (where the size of the engine is powered enuff to not strain and decrease the MPGs -the hump- but has a lill extra to haul, carry, or climb some inclines in 4WD). Not wimpy /OR/ a monster.
Under 6 or 700 lb., line pump, no 'puter...
And # 3, of course, I'm short on cash.