1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sludge/water and oil seperator for ibc tote

Discussion in 'BioDiesel & Alternative Fuels' started by Mt_Man, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Mt_Man

Mt_Man Registered User

Natehimself36 had this idea he gets credit. His efficient design

nates adaptor.jpg

Maybe someone came up with this before. Not sure. Maybe someone can find this useful. Anyone else make something like this? Got pics? Simpler setup?

Made some mods, over complicated now lol
    tote adaptor 3.jpg

tote adaptor 4.jpg
    tote adaptor 1.jpg
    tote adaptor 2.jpg

I am in the process of moving everything so its a mess. But one improvement I wanted to do for a while. Does require a tote with a ball valve. Big open center.

This should help with keep settled out sludge out of the centrifuge. I do let it settle in this dirty tote for a few weeks before centrifuging usually. Mainly because I figure pumping oil in would disturb the settled sludge off the bottom. It is plumbed to fill from the top. It also allows water and sludge to settle out and be drained off. Previously, I was doing it before starting and periodically while processing. The tote's flat bottom doesn't help. Conical tank would be sweet.

Reused some parts from the original design. Buddy helped with the lathe and welding work. If we did it over again. We would have brazed it and not welded it. Cast bushing and steel pipe.
    Don't know if it leaks yet. Did not get to try it before a work trip.

2. YJMike92

YJMike92 Full Access Member

It looks interesting. I might understand. Is that an oil pick up tube feeding the centrifuge?

3. Mt_Man

Mt_Man Registered User

Sorry, it is a little confusing. The tote is on its side so I could get the valve off to put it together without sludge leaking out. Yep for me it is to feed my centrifuge, but it could be used to settle and de-water oil/fuel then pull settled fuel off with a pump or gravity. It could take the place of a conical settling vessel.

I welded the bushing to the pipe so it would not leak and would go in the tote ball valve and then angled up so it would be above the sludge. The 2inch "T" and the pipe going down is to drain sludge/water off the bottom.

The tote will be rotated to the normal orientation when I finish setting it up. Does that help? I can sketch it out if that would be of use to anyone.

I was going to install a bulkhead fitting to the side and use that. This seemed easier and none permanent solution. That way when I need to swap out old totes I can plug and play later.

YJMike92 likes this.
  4. YJMike92

YJMike92 Full Access Member

That makes sense now. Just have to hold your head the right way. Actually a good design. I wish I had thought of it when I set mine up. It would have saved me welding an extra bung on my barrel.

Mt_Man likes this.