Sled pulling a 6.9 at the county fair

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
This august me and my buddy Keeway are gonna be sled pulling our 6.9s at the fair. What do you guys think about it? What gear, 4hi or 4 low, slip the clutch or dump it? And how do you guys think we'll do?

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
2nd 4low slip a little and if it starts bouncing, STOP!

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a 6k pull wieght class comin up out here. Lol most will laugh at me for this but my truck is a 2x4 and imma start in 1 and I guess all see if this Detroit Locker was worth the money. Wish me luck I probley won't do well but I wanna see what it will do. How do you guys think I will do? Complete failure? Or maybe next to last place? As longs as I get next to last that's a plus in my book. I think you guys will place around the middle of everyone. As for how to pull if it was around what im pullin I would run 4hi in 1st anymore wieght as 91 idi said 2nd in 4lo. Good luck take a video!!!

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know how you will do. Hope you guys out-pull a turbo rig! I would make sure tires are aired down quite a bit and fill up fuel tanks to add some more weight! As long as rpm's stay sky high the idi will pull well in my opinion.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can power shift very well spent alot of time playin in the fields in Mo growing up. Anyways if I shifted quick from 1st 2nd would it stall out? Or brake the drive shaft. Or snap somthing in the tranny?

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Good luck to you Devon Harley. And we are in the 8000 pound class. We were thinking 4hi or 4low 2nd gear. I believe wheel speed is key to pulling. What do you guys think? And our goal is to try and beat a cummins because everyone around here has a cummins and there mouths never shut up.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all probley need it I also will probley only against gassers idk will see. I think we spin is good but not alot your 4x4 and I think the key is to try and walk the front by turnin wheel side to side not alot of tho. I think there's always a chance to out drive someone it's not just the trucks power I would thinks its a combo driver and truck. You don't have to always have more power it's how you use it. You could do well if there trucks aren't 30+ thousand dollar trucks. Cummins are easy to juice up and run very well as we all know. What kinda rigs are you talking?

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess all see if this Detroit Locker was worth the money.

If you have a real Detroit Locker, it's worth every penny. But remember, if you're spinning both rear tires, it's doing its job. It can't give tires more traction, only send power to both of them. Good luck! Wish I could watch.

Dave

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IHPOWER I mean what year? just trucks they bought and drive to work tow work? are they modded up?

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
trucks their parents bought them with a chip and lift and injectors and the run around town blowing black and talking smack. they are mostly 3rd and 2nd 5.9 cummins

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Imma fill 600 or 700 pound of concrete bags. I will put my fresh set of A/T's and hope it works out. All take video to post. What gear should I run 2nd an slip it. Or pull hard an slow or wot in 1st?

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two much lift will work in your favor. Those are strong trucks. A chip ya you got good chance but with injectors to idk. But black smoke doesn't always mean power. An as for the drivers well I feel ya there I got those here myself. They run there trucks hard at high boost and tear them up. Also most I know wreck them cause they can't drive for squat. So there is a good chance you will place ok watch all the idi pulls on you tube they do well. There was a stand cab dually that was rockin.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
what i did, was 2nd gear low range. slip a little but dont do it long. shove your right foot to the core support and giver hell. my pull was going so well with no tire spin or hopping. till bang, snapped the rear yolk in twine!

http://youtu.be/s7fqDw5jeeA

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Hate to burst your bubble but I don't think a 2wd will move it. I saw a few 2wds try to pull and all they did was smoke the tire/tires on dirt.

I pulled first gear low range and it immediately hit rev limiter. I tried second and it dogged out and slowly picked up. In first I did beat a few cummins so I was happy.

First gear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDIfkRHRfNU&feature=plcp

second gear, if I had a turbo I would have picked up better.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2281848201607&set=t.100000016924098&type=1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online