Single Piece driveshaft for 7.3 idi non turbo, 4x4, zf5

BIGR3DMF

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I drive a 1993 f250 with a 7.3 idi non turbo, it is 4x4 with a zf5 transmission. It has a long bed and an extended cab. Absolute beast of a truck but the two piece drive shaft is tired. Threw it out in the driveway back in May and am noticing that under load (when towing mostly) I’m getting more vibrations and lag than I want and this old driveshaft has been in the truck for 20 some years and has been thrown out like three times. I want a single piece driveshaft. First time posting here an am very excited to get involved. Give me any suggestions, thanks. Also ask me questions!

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s a guy on here that did a single piece drive shaft for one of his customers in a truck similar to yours. You can read what he did and how it came out in the link. I think the customer may have had to change the angle due to some minor vibrations when unloaded vs loaded or something along those lines.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know all the ins and outs of driveline theory, but I think there are design limits on driveshaft lengths. Everything in life is a compromise, I would stick with what the factory did. Did they ever use a one piece driveshaft on a extended cab pickup? I am not sure on that.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
franklin2 please add the details of your truck to your signature. This will help us knowing what you are referring to. Click on your user name at the top right and select Signature. Fill in the details and you are done.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I drive a 1993 f250 with a 7.3 idi non turbo, it is 4x4 with a zf5 transmission. It has a long bed and an extended cab. Absolute beast of a truck but the two piece drive shaft is tired. Threw it out in the driveway back in May and am noticing that under load (when towing mostly) I’m getting more vibrations and lag than I want and this old driveshaft has been in the truck for 20 some years and has been thrown out like three times. I want a single piece driveshaft. First time posting here an am very excited to get involved. Give me any suggestions, thanks. Also ask me questions!
A driveshaft under normal operating circumstances should never "throw". I am guessing you mean it's breaking u-joints or the bolts holding the ujoint caps to the yoke are working loose somewhere? For it to happen 3 times is really strange. Vibrations can cause the bolts to work loose for sure.

It's happened twice to me on my own pickup, once when the rearmost joint failed badly under load and another time when the bolts loosened up due to a loose pinion nut.

The violent event of breaking loose under load can smash the yoke and cause it to deform which leads to imbalances, BTW.

I don't know all the ins and outs of driveline theory, but I think there are design limits on driveshaft lengths. Everything in life is a compromise, I would stick with what the factory did. Did they ever use a one piece driveshaft on a extended cab pickup? I am not sure on that.
I agree here. They had big one-piece aluminum units on standard cabs of the era, at least some of the gassers. Adding 2ft+ to that thing would be pretty wild.

Let us know what you end up doing, but I would have the current shaft balanced and checked vs a custom single. Unless of course it was cheaper for the single! LOL A good driveline shop can tell you all you need to know, likely over the phone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online