Shredded serp belt

Spokerider

Reaction score
I have a question about my 1991 12v cummins perhaps you guys can help me with please.

Engine [ or something in the engine bay ] was squealing upon start up. It would go away after a few minutes or running. Yes, I ignored this squealing for the most part as it didn't last long. Then the serp belt shredded itself on the forward edge. Had a good look at the alignment of the pulleys and the tensioner to determine WHY it shredded. It appeared that the tensioner pulley was a little out of alignment, as in set back toward the engine block too much. I could see this as a possible reason for the front edge of the serp belt to shred, however, because the belt was old, I assumed that age was the reason for it's failure.

Installed a new belt, and again thot that the tensioner looked to sitting a little far towards the block, as the belt was not centered between the front / rear lips of the pulley, and was touching the front lip.

Drove the truck, and within 3hrs running time with new serp belt, it has shredded the front edge of the belt again. Grrrr. The good part.......no more squealing, so it was the old belt slipping as I suspected.

Does the tensioner "wear" and begin to move rearward with wear? Is there a shim that can be replaced to move it back into alignment / center of the belt? Is this a known problem with 12v?

The belt is well positioned on the other pulleys, and there is no wobble or mis-alignment issues that I can see with them. The tensioner spins freely, not rough or loose.

This engine hasn't given me a lick of trouble till now.........275,000 kms.

Thanks for your thoughts.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Can you get a pic?
Sounds to me like you should just replace the tensioner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Spokerider

Reaction score
Since I rarely drive the truck.......as in; only when I need a truck, I had not addressed the squealing problem to the end until now. When it 1st began, I had taken the truck to my local auto shop, and they replaced the tensioner then, thinking that was the cause. After paying the bill and a few days later, the squealing started all over again. Lost confidence in that shop, never went back to complain.

So the tensioner is not that old. Could they have neglected to replace a washer/ shim? Does a mis-aligned tensioner indicate wear? Crappy aftermarket product?

Fast forward 4 years later and 3000 kms to now.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It's possible the center bolt is loose. You may just have to take it off and inspect it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk