should i get a 6.0 or a 6.8?

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just went up to this lot to trade my cummins for a ford pickup, it was a mint (or so it seemed OBS 7.3 powerstroke) drove it and the brake pedal went straight to the floor. drove it back said no f'n way and checked out some of the superdutys he had up there. 2 were 6.0 diesels. one has 197k on it and new injectors, one i dont know anything about. i really like the one i know nothing of because its a ccsb and its got a plow hookup. the one with 197k is an 04. there were also 2 nice gassers up there one 5.4 and one 6.8. should i go with a 6.0? and then dump the 1600 into the sinister diesel kit for it. or should i go gasser. i mean im not ruling out the gassers, im goin back thursday or friday for a test drive on all of em. if i keep it at stock power and do the EGR delete and oil cooler upgrade can i avoid doin headstuds? just need some insight on the 6.0. is the torqshift in the 6.0 also?

ill be using the truck every day. its my only car, so its a commuter, itll work everyday doin construction and lanscaping, haul around our 11,000 pound backhoe from time to time, and itll be nice to play with every now and then in the mud and haul around quads and sleds come wintertime.maybe ill even throw a plow on it.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the VIN number and have Ford run an Oasis report on the truck you want. This will tell you everything that Ford has done to the truck. Good Luck!

Dave

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill get that when i go back up there for sure. the one i dont know about has 115k on it and he wants 12 grand so i dont know how thats gonna go..

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
If you plan on doin power up grades i'd go with headstuds for sure if it wasnt done yet. If yer just gonna leave it stock and do the egr delete stuff you should be fine pullin yer backhoe around. Those gassers would be great trucks too but fuel mileage will probably be worse than the 6.0. Not to mention the diesel like all other diesels will last longer. I'd never buy a gasser to do heavy haulin.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i see what your sayin man, im gonna get that oasis report and if i can grab the 6.0 ill do the egr and the updated oil cooler. the v10s will have worse gas mileage no doubt. im bankin on the truckers striking again like they did 3 or 4 years ago when diesel hits 5.00 a gallon up here haha. its at 4.60 now. but im not sure yet, its all in the test drive

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
What $1600 dollar kit from Sinster? I have all the factory parts. The only thing I have deleted is the oil drain plug, for a FUMOTO Valve. There is no reason to tear apart a 6.0 when you buy it. In stock trim it will live a long life with routine maintenance. I have a 6.0 as does DaveBen.... I know him from next door at superdutydiesel.com. I would not hesitate to buy a 6.0 especially it it has a good Oasis report, or a report that shows it has good past maintenance and not alot of problems. We both have them at stock settings, no programmer and I know, and I am sure with the miles Dave has, I see no need to turn up the 6.0. It has all the power to do everything I ask it to do at stock settings. I runs good, clean and ad decent mileage. It will NOT give you a smoke show. Mine will only light haze on a hard accel if it has been driven easy. Do not baby a 6.0 they like to be worked..... just like the old IDI's hook them to a load and make it work, and it will run better after you are done.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah im gonna work it no doubt. but say i dont hitch up to anything for a while because towing our stuff is intermittent at best, will puttin my foot into it suffice? and im not doin the kit from sinister, just the EGR delete and the upgraded oil cooler

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I wouldnt touch a 6.0 with that many miles. The 6.8's are a joke the 5.4's have the same if not more power and get a little better gas mileage. Why are you getting rid of the cummins? And what are you planning on doing with the new truck?

-Jordan-

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the cummins cab is rusted and the tranny is a weak point. i dont have the cash to fix either of them when they get out of hand. the v10 is reliable though. regardless of mileage and it HAS to have more power than the v8 the one in our van is a hog.

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just got an ext can F250 with one in it at work and what little hardly noticeable power it has over the 5.4 isnt worth the god aweful fuel mileage. When you say a the tranny is a weak point on ur cummins im gonna say you have an auto in it lol

-Jordan-

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah im gonna work it no doubt. but say i dont hitch up to anything for a while because towing our stuff is intermittent at best, will puttin my foot into it suffice? and im not doin the kit from sinister, just the EGR delete and the upgraded oil cooler

Yes, that will suffice.... that is exactly what I do.... a good hard run to get on the interstate..... Also, do not let it idle for extended periods. 5+ minutes at a time or so. That helps to plug the turbo and the EGR Valve. If you do let it idle.... the next couple of lights, do a hard accell from the next couple of lights to help blow anything that may have collected out..... This is how I have been driving mine for the last 4 years.......

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im gonna go for the 6.0 im pretty sure, and yeah my trannys auto lol. the guys got a 7.3 stick up there im gonna test drive.. didnt see that one..

HondaCowboy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now your talking

:thumbsup:I would totally go for the 7.3L stick. Less power but alot more dependable motor and then that stick also wont quit pulling all of a sudden on you.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh yeah i know it. and i hope that i can trade for it. theres a rot hole in the bed floor though.. that doesnt sit well with me..

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Certain 6.0 can be a ROYAL PITA, But others can be real good trucks.

For example.

My friend bought a brand new 03 6.0(the supposid worst year) he put 350k on the truck pulling a 2 car wedge trailer all over the east coast. All stock, no power upgrades at all
@150 a set of injectors
@250 a set of injectors
@300 a cat and trans rebuild

He traded that truck in on a 06-or 07 6.0 last year. The "new truck had just under 100k and a clean oasis report. AGAIN, no power adders
@100k head gaskets
@105k head gaskets AGAIN
@110k HEAD GASKETS AGAIN. But this time it got ARP head studs, Liberator EGR delete and the oil cooler upgrade.
Now the truck had 200k and no more issues.

So take a 6.0 for what it is. RAW power that was pushed into production , with limited time to work the bugs out, there is reason ford sued international over this engine and also why international no longer makes for diesel engines, it is called the 6.0. Dont get me wrong, a 6.0 with upgrades is basicly bulletproof, but you will pay to make it that way.

As for the 6.8. unless it is the 05 or newer, they are quite doggy, but a 05-2010 is 365hp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online