Short and fat to tall and skinny

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran into a cow and my fan ate my radiator. I have a parts truck but the radiators are different. Parts truck is a brick down truck is a bull. Do I have to swap core supports to fit the other rad in? And if so will the bull nose front clip bolt back on to that core support? If it turns into a wreck I'm tempted to try and track down an aluminum radiator instead

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The radiator core supports are different between Bulls and Bricks. You could probably interchange them, but then you'd also have to use all of the parts that go with the support such as head lights, grille, etc. I think it would be easier and probably cheaper to find an aluminum radiator for your truck. As for swapping the different types of radiators, I don't know about that.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The short/wide radiator uses a gas style rad support. The big square one needs the diesel-only support that drops down between the frame rails. You can swap rads one way, but not the other. Exact mounting holes and such i'm not sure of.

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the responses and the good info. Ya I like my bull so I'm gonna just price out a replacement rad

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm turns out they are pretty much discontinued. Has anybody bought the short wide radiator recently?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Random suggestion.... I wrecked out a diesel F250 a while back. I made a point to cut the dropped section from the otherwise damaged rad support and save the 'square' rad - for future projects.

If you can find this chunk yourself and graft it in, or fab your own dropped section, you could foreseeably use the other style rad.

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck finding a wide short rad and when you do if its new it will be damn spendy. I swapped my bullnose core support to tall narrow so I could put my ac back in and a champion 4 core. I bought a new wide short off rock auto like 4-5 years ago and it was over $500 iirc I still have it and have plans to put it in my plow truck because it currently has a manual trans short wide rad without the internal trans cooler

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O man that's not what I wanted to hear! I've got a buddy that is headed to a scrap yard for some stuff for his truck. He thinks he saw an ad for a 6.9 in there so I might have one this evening. If not I might just fab a core support up to fit the taller rad

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don’t have a resolution yet, I’ve got a short wide original ford radiator that I took off an ‘85 6.9 truck years ago. It wasn’t leaking then and it’s been in dry storage since. The outside of the radiator looks nearly perfect, no signs of leaking tubes or damaged fins. I never had it vatted or rodded out but it might be a good place to start for you. PM me if you’re interested and I’ll send you pictures and we can work out the details.