Shocks?

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone got good shock recommendations? These old Monro shocks the PO put on are pretty terrible, it's time to switch.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Bilstein are pricey but are pretty much top of the line for passenger vehicles.

I recently changed the fronts to Bilstein. My right front wasn't even connected at the top anymore and was totally compressed! The nut was simply gone, it wasn't a broken stud. I didn't know it was and I don't know how long it was that way. I don't think it was last year when I did front pads though.

I put new Monroe Magnum RV on the rear last summer because that's all I could afford and it needed them desperately. It had the original USA made Motorcraft ones from 1985. If I had the money, I would have put Bilstein back there too.

The Monroe in the middle was on the left front side. Right one was on the right.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had Bilsteins on my 2004 F-350 and I loved them. A bit pricey.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Depends a lot on what your springs are like.

I have Bilstein fronts now. I *want* to believe they ride better than the Rancho 5000's, but I don't think I can tell any difference.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the yellow Bilstein 4600's. I've been happy with them.

If you place a set in your cart on shockwarehouse.com and wait around a discount code usually pops up.

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with them but have seen rancho 9000XL adjustable shocks mentioned a lot for these trucks

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I think I'll do little saving and get the Blisteins. My shocks are ok right now but I need a nicer ride, we'll as good of ride you can get in a 27 year old truck ha.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Imo, shocks are just as important as the spring design. The Bilstein shocks are great value for the life and ride quality. The front shackle is to blame on these trucks if it's an f350. F250 the shackle placement makes sense, just a HUGE spring rate.

I went Kings. Came with the kit :)

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
Slightly off the shock topic.... but.. "Sulastic"claims their rear spring hangers improve the ride on our trucks a bunch. Very expensive, but maybe worth looking into along with shocks?