Seats for Diego

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by saburai, Apr 15, 2018.

1. saburai

saburai Full Access Member

Hi Gang! I know that there are probably many seat upgrade/replacement threads. I'm just to slammed with life to search them out and read through them to find the information I need. We've got about another month here in Florida before pulling the house back up to the Catskill mountains. The worn out seat is literally kicking my ass! I need to replace it or preferable, both before we pull out. I'm asking for suggestions on what seats to use. I don't necessarily need or want power, I'm fine with manual adjustments. What years and models of trucks would be the easiest swap? My truck is a '90 F 250 XLT with buckets and a center console. I'd like to keep the same layout. Of course, direct replacement would be great, but drill a few holes would be ok too. I just don't have much free time right now...
    Thanks all:cheers:

2. genscripter

genscripter Full Access Member

If all you care about is getting seats ASAP, just go to your nearest pick-u-part junkyard and find late-80's early-90's Ford trucks, find decent seats, and then buy them.

If used seats don't work for you, then you will need to use the Search feature.

saburai likes this.
  3. Runningaford

Runningaford Registered User

I don't know about seat replacement threads, but I do plan on changing my seats soon. I'm leaning towards using nice comfy RV captain chairs up front; I should be able to knock out whatever fab is necessary for this. The back seat will be tossed. I want to build out a raised platform about 15" high in it's place, and then continue it forward between the front captain chairs. My dogs can ride in this area, I can sleep in this area. Under this platform, will be storage for tools, and fluids; For easier access underneath, I plan on doing 'boat style' pull out plates on top of the platform.

saburai likes this.
  4. saburai

Thanks! So any late 80's,early 90's (bricknose OBS?) Ford truck or van seats are pretty much a bolt in?

5. Dieselcrawler

Dieselcrawler i pooped today! Staff Member

For yours being a supercab, only supercab seats will bolt right in. 80-97 years

saburai likes this.
  6. saburai

Thanks Cory! For the other types of seats, what is involved, what modifications are necessary to install them? Obviously I'm talkin similar model year Ford trucks. Also, if it's not a lot of work I'm not opposed to power seats. Lastly, any suggestions?

7. DougsOBS

DougsOBS Full Access Member

Im putting a set of 2015 ram 2500 seats in my dually. Pretty easy to modify I thought

saburai likes this.
  8. DougsOBS

Heres a picture 20171015_213815.jpg

saburai likes this.
  9. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Vendor Supporting Member

I’ve got a super cab and I pulled the front buckets and center console from a 97 crew cab dually. Bolted right in with no modification, for a $150 can’t complain, just need to get around to pulling the passenger seat and lubing the rails.

saburai likes this.
  10. saburai

Those look good! What was necessary to make them work?

11. saburai

Thanks Wes!
    Unless I can find a low mileage wreck, I'm still dealing with 20+ year old seats. Lots of farts:eek:

12. DougsOBS

Basically cutting the front feet and rewelding them. Im sure if you cant weld you can find a buddy who can.
    Pretty simple fab honestly

saburai likes this.
  13. MtnHaul

MtnHaul Supporting Member Supporting Member

Since you have a SuperCab you should also be able to use Bronco seats as I think they share the same floor pan. I had Bronco seats/brackets in mine for a while but I got tired of not being able to move the seat forward or backward.

@Thewespaul
    Did the brackets from the crewcab bolt in to a SuperCab or did you just pull the seats and then bolt them to your SCab brackets? Seems like I see more crewcabs parted out locally than SCabs.

And I do still have the Bronco seats/brackets if someone nearby wants/needs them. I don't want to deal with shipping. I'm near Santa Cruz, CA

14. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Vendor Supporting Member

I used the bracket from the crew cab, bolted right in