Seating for 7?

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need some input on my options, I will be needing a vehicle that can haul at least 7 people, but also have good fuel economy and be diesel pwoered. I would like a centurian 4-door bronco, or I can put an IDI in a conversion van if I have tocookoo
Now, 1st problem. Both of those options eliminate me having a 5th wheel camper unless I use a dolly.
Next problem, poor mileage. I dont use my truck anymore unless I need to tow something. I planned on getting a VW jetta TDI or similar in the near future, are there any small cars that can seat 7 and still get at least 30 mpg?
For a truck I would like to stick with an older mechanicly injected diesel for power since I use alternative fuels to offset the costs.
So what are my best options guys? :dunno

DragRag

Reaction score
IDI 8 seater here. Plus I could take out the bed and add another row to the seating to make it a 11 or 12 seater. Get's pretty good MPG's, and has tow capacity to. Best of all worlds, but surely does not get 30 mpg. I think 17 mpg at best with the 4.10's. We really like our van, I highly recommend one. They are hard to find in a great condition though.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant think of an modern cars, honestly the first thing that came to mind was MB w123 wagon 1978-1983 300td (2 front buckets, 3 seat rear bench, 2 seat rear facing back bench) should pull around 32mph at 65mph...All mechanical diesel and from my days at the european car meets with a little care those cars will easily pass the 400k mile mark. I can honestly say I am not a die hard benz fan (owned a few, enjoyed them, but not a fave), but I will say the cars they put out from the late 70's to late 80's were engineer built...their purpose was to be reliable transportation at all costs, and they did it well.

A friend of mine owns an 82 that he swapped gears with a gasser in...in town it lacks a little, but he routinely gets 38mpg at 70mph with the wife and 4 kids in it

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I like that thing!!! I got a feeler Ad out to see what I can get for my truck....I want another IDI, but at the same time I want a 5.0 'stang.

That is an awsome van Drag!!! Do you have any inside shots of her?

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would kill the 7 pass seating, but there was a guy who had his cent custom ordered to tote a fifth wheel.

Pull third row, hitch up to the 5er, unhitch, re install third seat.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am honestly thinking I want to add either an extended cab or 3rd set of doors toone of my CC's just for that purpose. Typically we have 3 in the back and its much more comfortable than the minivan, but at least once a month it become a 2 car ordeal hauling 8 around...

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NICE;Sweet I really want my next truck to be a medium duty like that, but had never seen anything with 6 doors. I was thinkin International crew cab with a sleeper wasthe best I was gonna get.

Anyway, being more realistic, I like the van, but they are hard to find. I know I can build one if need be. How does that van ride being a 4x4? I like them but think it would be very topheavy:dunno

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am honestly thinking I want to add either an extended cab or 3rd set of doors toone of my CC's just for that purpose. Typically we have 3 in the back and its much more comfortable than the minivan, but at least once a month it become a 2 car ordeal hauling 8 around...

like this?

Attachments

• 100_3921.jpg
    100_3921.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 12

DragRag

Reaction score
I like that thing!!! I got a feeler Ad out to see what I can get for my truck....I want another IDI, but at the same time I want a 5.0 'stang.

That is an awsome van Drag!!! Do you have any inside shots of her?

Ya, here are some.

The wires for the gauges don't wrap around the front of the dash any more, I fixed that problem.

DragRag

Reaction score
NICE;Sweet I really want my next truck to be a medium duty like that, but had never seen anything with 6 doors. I was thinking International crew cab with a sleeper was the best I was gonna get.

Anyway, being more realistic, I like the van, but they are hard to find. I know I can build one if need be. How does that van ride being a 4x4? I like them but think it would be very top heavy:dunno

They are hard to find, but not impossible, look around on craigslist and ebay. Colorado has more then there fair share of them, and they pop up often on craigslist there. It rides really great to, it has coil over suspension in the front like the newer F350's. Find one with coil overs rather then a leaf spring set up if you can, big difference. They don't really feel top heavy either, the quad van even less so then the Quigley I had. It feels very sure footed, and doesn't have a lot of body role.

Last edited:

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on the old benz wagons if you need to haul seven people. It helps if persons 6 and 7 are small, however. I spent new years in the 3rd seat in our wagon (the price I paid for not being designated driver;Sweet) and it does get cramped after a half hour or so.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, how about anything newer for a small car? I like the older stuff but lets face it parts are gonna get hard to get or expencive eventually.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online