Sealing the heater box

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
While I have the engine out of my truck (1985 F250), I'm going to install a new A/C evaporator. It's been a few years since I've had one of those apart and really don't remember, are the two pieces of the heater box sealed together? What do you guys use to reseal them?

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I have the engine out of my truck (1985 F250), I'm going to install a new A/C evaporator. It's been a few years since I've had one of those apart and really don't remember, are the two pieces of the heater box sealed together? What do you guys use to reseal them?
I used this stuff. Don't know if it was a good idea or if it will work but it's in there

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Seam sealer should be fairly easy to find. Even around these rural parts I live in.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what but it did appear to have something on it. I didn't seal mine up but there was a decent amount of airflow out the holes where the lines for the evaporator run. If you have time I would definitely seal it up good, I was thinking about RTV but decided not to mess with pulling it back apart.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I like to use Butyl strips and put seran wrap on one side so it doesn’t stick. The firewall side is a die cut neoprene gasket. There is a reprise available for the older trucks, found it looking for one for my OBS which I need to make.