SD 7.3 into OBS w/ ZF5

jsm1573

Reaction score
So I have a Frankenstein OBS truck that I am looking to put an SD 7.3 into. It is a 1997 Ford F350 4x4 CCLB w/ the 7.3 and a ZF5. Originally the truck was a 2wd automatic dually and I installed the suspension from my old 94 f250 along with the bed and ZF5 to make it a 4x4 5 speed truck. Now I have a 7.3 out of a 2000 f350 and I want to install it into my OBS. I need to know everything extra needed for this swap. Such as do I need a PCM/IDM from a SD manual truck or can I use the PCM/IDM that I have. And will a clutch designed for a SD 7.3 work with a ZF5 from a 94 OBS? Any other info would be great too. Thanks in advance!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You can swap the injectors from the old engine, then run the old pcm/idm.
I can't recall exactly, but I believe the SD manual trans had a longer input shaft.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jsm1573

Reaction score
Well the SD 7.3 already has a decked out fuel system from regulated return, to the frame mounted pump and filters, an adrenaline hpop, and a larger turbo plus more. It also has about 200k less miles than the engine in my truck now. So I was more looking to swap the whole engine. And are you saying the zf5 I have now might not have a long enough input shaft to work with the SD 7.3?

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Here is what I know to be fact.
7.3 long block assemblies interchange between OBS and SD with one exception, there is no fuel pump lobe on the SD 7.3 cam so SD in OBS requires electric fuel. Should be done to every performance 7.3 so no issue.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Regarding injectors, run whatever you like and have the programming to run them on your chip.
Or if you are a detailed, methodical elecricly orientated person you could swap in the PCM connector, switch to a SD Map sensor and run SD PCM. There is a stickie out there on PSA or PSN for it.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Turbo system wise the SD system can be made to fit OBS. For a stock SD turbo not worth it..for a older tech SD perf turbo with “66” somewhere in the name..... forget it get one of the drop it SXE based turbos or run stock OBS until you can afford a drop in or T4 system.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
If your SD engine comes with a real worthy complete (not modded stock) turbo would be the only reason to go through the hassle of running SD turbo system.

jsm1573

Reaction score
Also I believe the engine already has all the upgrades needed regarding the turbo and oil system and fuel system I’m just trying to make sure I cover all my basis when it comes to making it communicate with the obs. And of course making sure the zf5 will work

jsm1573

Reaction score
When I get home I will have to double check all the receipts that came with it to verify what parts are on it

jsm1573

Reaction score
Yes it has a hydra chip and I was looking to get my injectors from swamp diesel. They offer to put 6 programs on the chip for free. Do I need to tell them my exact situation so that they program it for the obs pcm?